Chapter 20 - This Means War

In the deepest caverns of the village, no one had ever dared enter this particular cave. For Mother Miranda, it was the perfect place for solitude in the darkness with nothing but candles to light her way. In the center was a shrine she kept with a photo of her former self holding a baby, her deceased daughter Eva, and the most important person to her ever.

Not far off on the stone walls were the carved sigils of the four houses of the lords that served her, perfectly made to match those on the gates throughout the village. Miranda had always wondered what it would have been like for her if she had taken control of the village earlier, and then she would have had much more influence over the people. It would have also given her more time to perfect her Cadou experiments and perhaps now, there would be no more Lycans, just more specimens like Dimitrescu, Beneviento, Moreau, and Heisenberg, or even better, the perfect vessel for Eva. All of that could have been achieved before Emily Tempest's arrival if she had more time.

Miranda stood at the shrine with her wings folded and her face still visible since she fled Heisenberg's factory. A tear slid down her cheek as she gazed at the portrait of herself and her daughter, and then she could feel the power of something regrowing on her body. She tried not to smile, but it was difficult not to from the relief as the hand that had been severed began to regrow back in its place. The power of the Cadou, derived from the Mold; the original parasite Miranda had worked with previously, had regenerative powers, so it was like Heisenberg's attack was just a mere scratch. Certainly, he would recover as well in no time at all.

Down the nearest passage to her left was the entrance to the lab where she had begun her work and the many rusting cells where she kept her subjects imprisoned when it was not their turn on the gurney Many Cadou samples lay on the desks with other substances she tried mixing them with, and Miranda longed to go down there to begin something new, something powerful to rid of all her enemies once and for all. The Connections would never see anything like it from her previous work. If she couldn't begin her ceremony because of no vessel and the steps required to eliminate her false children in the process, then perhaps she could focus on something else, the precious war Heisenberg ever so craved.

Now that the storm angel knows of her past and my true intentions, she will be completely on Heisenberg's side. Metal and the storm, how do I stand a chance against that? She angrily turned her face away from the photo, desiring to break something. But she would not dare smash the beloved image of her daughter.

She then stormed to the carved wall of the four sigils. Raising her arms above her, the ground burst from below with a thick stalk from the Megamycete itself began to grow. Through her power, Miranda allowed the trunk to move forward until it pierced and shattered the horse sigil of Heisenberg in the low right corner.

As it crumbled, Miranda never felt more satisfied. If she was going to eventually rid herself of her false children, why not start now? She could do the ceremony with and without them. As she stopped to exhale, she then turned to the Dimitrescu sigil in the upper left corner of the wall from where Heisenberg's had been.

Dimitrescu was right to say Heisenberg's devotion to me was questionable. Too damn lazy to investigate for herself, she tries to persuade me to confront that man, I was a fool to do so, but now I know that she was right. She now awaits my call to see if I was. But why should I answer her? Does she really need to know at this point? I have no further use to her either!

Summoning another stalk, she smashed Dimitrescu's sigil. The stone crumbled at her feet. Moreau and Beneviento are pathetic as they are... Moreau is far too loyal but also primitive and stupid, and Beneviento is too afraid and hides in her hole, only leaving when summoned. I don't need any of them! I'll kill all of you and the storm angel and find a vessel myself!