Chapter 19 - Face The Storm

It was closing in, Emily could feel it as she descended the stairs from the bedroom and headed outside. It was a very rash decision but a necessary one. It felt almost suicidal what she was about to do, but what other option was there? There was, of course, to keep running and hiding from the storm for the rest of her life until either Miranda or the BSAA killed her, or she died alone in fear, neither of those things she wanted.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but Karl is right, I have to do it and I want to do it. She thought as she made her way through the large antechamber searching for the back exit that led her to the field. By the time she pushed the wide doors open, the sky was darker than before, and the thunder roared across the sky. She swallowed and her skin crawled. It was awakening inside her and calling her to step into the light.

Today is the day I become stronger, no more running, I can't forget the pain I've been through, but at least I can begin with this. Emily stepped outside the factory and into the open field. Even though she had just been here and faced the truth about her past and Miranda's plan, she needed to come back here once more.

The dark clouds filled the sky as simultaneously came the thunder and lightning, Emily shuddered and took another step. Her body tingled again, her own power triggered by the storm and on her bare arms, the thunderbolts trickled visibly. She felt like she was back on the train, but she forced herself to breathe steadily as she stepped forward again and again.

I can't go on like this, living in fear, it will only destroy me. Even if I was made this way for a reason, this is who I am. The world may be scared of me, but why should I be scared of them, or of myself? She reached the center of the field and nearby lay the wreckage of Karl's self-propelled artillery, torn completely in half from Miranda's attack. Emily ignored it and stood in the center of the field, the breeze was stronger now, her hair blowing behind her.

This is me... I'm sorry Mother.... this is all for me now. Any minute now.... am I really ready? The thunder roared again, the sparks on her arms, travelling to her hands were rapid and visible, waiting for her to react, they were so much different and felt a lot more in her control when she wasn't anxious and afraid. The more she faced it, the more she, surprisingly, liked it. The clouds were shifting, it's coming, she raised one arm into the air and gazed at the sky as she saw a brief flash and then simultaneously as the thunder echoed, a massive lightning bolt, burst from the clouds toward her, striking her palm in a flash. The impact was so quick and immense that she fell forward onto the dead grass. From the blow, there was no wound or scar left from the strike, but she could feel the lightning moving through her like she was also a conduit, just like Karl.

Try again... she thought fiercely, almost with anger, don't run if you don't succeed. She rose to her feet and went into the same position, this time she allowed her mind to clear as she looked at the sky again, and this time she thought of Karl like his face was in the clouds before her. I've never felt this way about anyone, he's annoying, stubborn, and a total asshole, but it's so strange, it's like, I admire him, I think I actually...... I... I love him!

Her heart beat rapidly and then all of a sudden the second lightning bolt from the sky struck her in the same place. Instantly it fused with her creating a constant stream of lightning between her and the storm in the sky. Emily found it difficult to stand but continued to fight, wincing at the force of the strike as it nearly made her drop to her knees.

It's so crazy, how could I possibly be attracted to Karl? He can such a jerk! But when I'm with him, he makes me want to become a better person...a more confident person! That's what I want! That is what I will become! This is me! She summoned all her strength and rose up again, then lifted her other arm to the sky while continuing to hold the lightning in the other arm. Then a bolt came bursting from her free hand, colliding with another incoming one from the sky. Now she stood strong in the storm. She felt invincible as the fierce wind continued to blow in the powerful storm, the lightning coursing through her veins she felt herself becoming lighter like she was fusing with the storm itself. The lightning from the sky and from her own body was lifting her off the ground.

She was, off the ground, floating at least a metre above, it was like she was losing herself, but the sensation was wonderful. For the first time ever, she felt in control of her power like the storm was hers to command. More lightning struck her from above and all she could think about was the image of Karl, they were together, united, facing and defeating Miranda. Then they were spending the rest of their lives together and soon she was completely engulfed in her power, embracing all those visions, all those dreams she had of becoming stronger and fearless.

That was the key to control, love and confidence, and she smiled knowing this as the sparks trickled all over her body like she was glowing. The lightning consumed her, lighting her up like a Christmas tree, but she loved it, the bolts emitting off of her and shooting back into the sky but never once felt discomfort. I can feel the power, and it's... it's amazing! Why have I not felt this before?

Then it was coming and it was the power she feared before. The last time she had tried to unleash this, it was in front of Karl. But before the shockwave could reach its full potential, she had stopped herself from unleashing it to avoid knocking over his Soldats and enraging him again. This time was different, breathe, I am who I am, I will no longer be afraid, and I will save you, Karl! And... we belong together!

Then in the heat of the moment, the surrounding lightning from the sky she was absorbing, burst from her body like a powerful shockwave, expanding throughout the surrounding sky all across the village. It was enough to cause a blackout perhaps or set something on fire. The sound of an explosion was heard close by and the remains of the artillery were in flames. Emily felt ultimate satisfaction that she had never felt in her life before as the lightning ceased and vanished into the ground and she landed on her feet softly. Exhaling with relief, she smiled gazing up at the sky as the rain began to fall. It pelted her face, soaking her from head to toe.

There's no turning back now, from now on I Karl..... we stay together. Feeling exhausted she then hurried inside to dry herself off, and by the time she returned to the bedroom, Karl had fallen asleep peacefully, like he had never slept in a long time. Emily climbed into the other side of the bed and gazed at him for a few minutes. One day, we'll be closer than this, maybe sooner, she thought, and then she soon fell asleep beside him as the storm she conquered, raged on.