Chapter 2: Between the unveiling shadows

Minki to Rogue and Sting about Tsu: "You have to understand, Tsu lived all alone since she was 10 years old. She doesn't know about many things that you take for granted or learned at an early age. Besides singing and playing a variety of instruments, which was her only hobby all those years, Tsu can't really do anything. She can't cook, so she only eats sweets. Her kimono is broken and ragged, she doesn't even understand the concept of fixing it or buying a new one. Besides that, she wouldn't know how to sew. She can't calculate, so she's using her fingers to do so; and the only reason she can read at all, is because I taught her. So, to you it may be easy to just go outside and purchase an item. To Tsu, it is a milestone. To you it is impossible to beat a spirit, as you have nothing you can attack; to Tsu it's child's play. Maybe you should be more lenient and take these things into consideration."

ツキヒ

ツキヒ

月姫

+++

Their long, exhausting journey back had been a tumultuous mix of discovery and adjustment. The twin dragons learned more about their new comrade, her powers, what kind of magic her soulfire was and they learned more about the girl herself. Tsu's severe social anxiety became apparent as she often hid behind Rogue or sought refuge in the shadows he cast. The boys learned about her nocturnal habits—sleeping during the day and thriving in the quiet of the night. Certainly, if Tsu was to join the Guild she either had to switch up her sleeping cycle or be employed as a nightwatch. Curiously, she refused proper meals offered to her, opting to feed Minki, her Exceed companion, while indulging herself in desserts. During this time, a particular small habit developed between all members of this small group: exchanging food items! Tsu often gave her meals to Rogue or Sting, stealing their desserts shortly after. Each revelation painted a picture of a girl whose existence had been defined by solitude and survival; and much of her persona showcased that she had a very childlike character, which Rogue assumed to be a coping mechanism against the loneliness she experienced. She didn't seem to be very independent which came to no surprise. It was obvious that Tsu had a lot to learn, but unlike Sting, Rogue understood how difficult this would be for her. Sting mentioned things such as "Man up!" whereas Rogue often told him that this matter wasn't as simple as "manning up".

However, the twin dragons also learned more about her mother Kowai and there were more and more questions, neither had an answer to as of yet. Something did not add up however and that something was "time". Tsu mentioned that Kowai disappeared seven years ago and when Rogue inquired if she could tell him which year precisely this had been, she shrugged, telling him that she didn't even know what year she was born or what year she lived in at the time being. And when the twin dragons were suspicious about this statement, they saw how Tsu counted her age using her fingers... which explained pretty much everything. She never received newspapers, nor did she ever set foot into the world outside of that little island and castle. She was fully oblivious to everything that would be considered normal by everyone.