Chapter 4; Durion Has a Feeling Azog Talks About Him Behind His Back

"So, ready?" Durion asked as he cracked his neck with a yawn.

"As I'll ever be." Gandalf responded and held the elf by his right shoulder. Durion closed his eyes and focused on the company, drawing Raidho, the rune for travel, into the air. He directed his whole mind to the image of appearing in the middle of the group. He could see the flash of white from behind his closed eyelids and with a small pop the air around them changed from the sweet and calm of Rivendell to the wet and cold of a cave. Durion tiredly opened his eyes and he and Gandalf made an assessment of the situation. It would be a lie to say that they weren't surprised at the sight of hundreds of orcs.

"Take up arms. Fight. Fight!" Gandalf shouts and the dwarves begin moving before the horde of orcs can. Durion unsheathes his own sword and starts protecting the dwarves as they scramble for their weapons.

"He wields the FoeHammer, the Beater, bright as daylight!" The giant orc sitting on top of a throne screamed while pointing at Gandalf, who also drew his sword.

"Follow me. Quick! Run!" Gandalf leads the dwarves and Durion is at the very end watching their backs. The dwarves use everything at their disposal to defend themselves, including a ladder, much to Durion's surprise. They manage to scramble onto a bridge but are cornered by the Great Goblin that jumps down on it. Durion is reluctantly impressed by the bridge's weight carrying capability.

"You thought you could escape me?" The Goblin swung his mace at Gandalf twice and the wizard stumbled back. "What are you going to do now, wizard?" Gandalf frowns and pokes the Goblin in the eye with his staff. The Goblin screams and Gandalf slices his stomach. "That'll do it." Are the Goblin's last words as he falls. The bridge shakes under the weight.

"Ah, damn it." Sighs Durion and the bridge starts sliding down the side of the cavern.The bridge slows down as it catches on both sides of the narrow cavern and lands at its base, breaking apart and burying the dwarves in the timber and wood. Gandalf gets up from the pile of wreckage and inspects the rest of the company, who are still stuck in the wreckage.

"Well, that could have been worse." One of the dwarves speaks as Durion rolls off the pile. He thanks Valar for that, because suddenly, the heavy corpse of the Great Goblin lands on the wreckage, squishing the dwarves further. They cry out in pain and Durion cringes.

"You've got to be joking!"

"Gandalf!" One of the twins screams and points up. Durion really should learn their names. Sweat drips down the elf's face as he sees the horde of orcs coming their way.

"There's too many! We can't fight them."

"Only one thing will save us: daylight! Come on! Here, on your feet!" Gandalf yells and they continue on until they reach the cave's exit. Durion lets out a laugh as he feels the warmth of the setting sun on his face. "Five, six, seven, eight...Bifur, Bofur...that's ten...Fili, Kili...that's twelve...and Bombur that makes thirteen."

"Where's the hobbit?" Durion asks with a frown.

"Curse the halfling! Now he's lost?!"

"I thought he was with Dori!"

"Don't blame me!"

"Well, where did you last see him?" Gandalf asked and Durion recognised the panic in his eyes.

"I think I saw him slip away, when they first collared us."

"What happened exactly? Tell me!"

"I'll tell you what happened." Thorin grunted. "Master Baggins saw his chance and he took it! He's thought of nothing but his soft bed and his warm hearth since first he stepped out of his door!"