Chapter 32: Art Of Teaching

Start from the beginning

"Milo, help both Finn and James with their posture, would you? James, show them how you hold the arrow," Archie stated. "We are a team here, lads. Learn from one another."

The boys enthusiastically showed their techniques and helped out when the others struggled. As the afternoon progressed, Archie could see that they were starting to grow more and more comfortable with their company. Laughter replaced the initial awkwardness, and the three began to bond over their shared failed attempts.

"Patience and practice, boys," Archie reminded them as he sat down on the grass, watching as they tried to put what they learned into action.

Archie smiled as he saw Finn nudge James proudly as he shot farther than any of their previous attempts. It was nowhere near the target, but it was still an improvement.

This made Archie wonder how different his training would have been if he had any friends. His mentor was a great warrior and teacher, but he was rather...stern. Even as a kid, Archie would work at the stables for hours and then practice archery with the same vigor. It was rather stressful, and even though his training led him to have the skills that he did, he wanted to apply a different approach to his students.

A kinder one.

***

7 Years Ago

"Archery is not just a sport, boy," the old man spoke. "It is not a matter of shooting a sitting target and having fun. It is life or death, you understand? It is blood."

"Yes, Master," a teenage Archie nodded eagerly as he gripped the bow tightly in his hand.

His mentor had taken him out to the forest, he had asked him to bring nothing but his bow and quiver. They usually practiced in the woods, but never this deep inside. It was beginning to get dark, and Archie had not eaten anything since morning. He did not want to complain, though, so he kept quiet about it. But his body betrayed him as his stomach let out an embarrassingly loud sound, making the old man chuckle.

"Hungry, boy?" He asked. Archie nodded shyly, not meeting the man's eyes. "Well, what are you waiting for, then? Go find your own food."

"You mean hunt?" Archie questioned, a soft frown on his face.

"What else? There are no fruits...no berries in this part of the forest. I know Gregory taught you how to track animals, and I have taught you how to shoot. So go put your skills to work and fetch us some supper." The old man ordered.

"But I... I do not like— I do not want to kill any—"

"No excuses," he cut off the teenager, his voice stern and leaving no room for an argument. "Either you kill your own food, or you go to sleep with an empty stomach. We will be here in the woods for the next two days, and I will not be feeding you, boy. Go, now. Get to work."

Archie nodded, his lips pressed in a thin line as he tried hard not to let any emotions show on his face. He turned around, walking away from his teacher in order to find food.

Despite it being dark, it did not take very long for the young man to find a trail. He followed it with a heavy heart, stopping when he realized that the bunny was not too far away. Archie held the bow, taking in a deep breath as he pulled the arrow back and aimed at the animal.

He just had to let go. That was it. But he could not.

Archie sighed tiredly as he loosened his hold before disarming the arrow and putting it back in his quiver. He walked back to where his mentor was. The old man was seated on a broken log of a tree, fire in front of him as he cooked supper.

He raised a questioning brow when he saw Archie come back empty-handed before shaking his head in disappointment. Archie lay down on the grass, facing away from his teacher as he rested his arm on top of his face. He could neither face the retired knight, nor could his empty stomach deal with the smell of food.

The next morning, back at the castle, Kenric decided to take his horse out for a ride. He went to the stables in the hopes of seeing his old friend, but Archie was nowhere to be found.

Kenric ran his hand through Nyx's mane, petting the horse gently as he looked around. It was an attempt to stall and stay in the stables for as long as he possibly could.

"Do you need anything else, Sire?" Questioned Gregory, the stable hand.

"No," Kenric muttered. He was disappointed, feeling like he wasted a trip. He cleared his throat, trying to be as subtle as he could as he asked what was on his mind. "Is Archie around?"

"I am afraid not, Sire. He has gone on a...trip for a couple of days," came the answer.

Kenric frowned slightly as he nodded, before grabbing hold of the rein and taking Nyx to the ground.

Trip to where? And with whom? Kenric wondered. He would have asked the old stable hand, but he did not want to appear more suspicious than he probably already did.

Kenric did not know that Archie had made friends. The idea made him both happy and sad at the same time. He was glad that Archie was not sulking alone or spending all of his waking hours working. But he also felt jealous at the thought that Archie had made new friends and forgotten about the prince. Archie barely even spared him a single glance when they were in the same vicinity but he was going on trips with others... probably having fun and the time of his life.

The envy made Kenric feel bitter. He tried not to. He knew it was not his place. But he simply could not help it. He was human, after all. Even though he was too young and oblivious to know the depth of his feelings for his old friend, he knew there was something different about them.

Something different about the way he looked at Archie, how he craved being around him, and how Kenric would do anything to get close to him.

Whenever Kenric had time free from his duties, he would sit next to the window in his room and look out at the stables. It was not until two more days later when Archie finally returned. Kenric perked up immediately at the teenager's sight, but the excitement died down instantly as he noticed that the stable boy did not look the same.

Archie's shoulders were sunken, the despair clearly visible on his face. He looked...weak. And sad. He had bags under his eyes and his cheeks were a little hollowed as if he had not been getting enough nutrition. Kenric grew worried, and the concern turned to anger. Both at whoever was responsible for Archie's condition and at himself for not being able to do anything about it.

"Guards!" Kenric called out, the door to his chambers opened immediately as two soldiers slipped in before bowing to the prince. "Send for Jude."

Once his manservant, Jude, arrived, Kenric ordered him to ask the cooks to prepare a hearty supper for the night, and to make sure that all of the servants and workers in the castle were fed well.

"May I ask what the special occasion is, Sire?" Jude questioned.

"I...I just feel like it. It would be good to lift their spirits once in a while, no?" Kenric retorted, making the other man nod.

"Of course, Sire. You are too kind, I am sure the servants will appreciate it."

"Good. You may leave now," Kenric spoke. Just as Jude was about to walk out the door, Kenric called for him again. "Wait! Uh, remember to make sure that everyone gets fed, all right? The handmaidens, gardeners...stable hands...and so on. Everyone."

"Right..."

Once Jude left, Kenric walked back to his window. Archie was sitting on top of a haystack as he pulled at the loose strands, mindlessly playing with them. Kenric smiled sadly, feeling bittersweet that even though his stable boy was back, he could still not be with him like he wanted to.