Chapter 4 - A Spinning World

Start from the beginning

"Commander, it's from Diplomatic Aide Inoue."

Feeling a sense of discomfort at the sudden interruption by a communication team member, Samejima wondered if something urgent had occurred. He activated the switch on his headset.

"This is Samejima. Has everything been settled safely? ...Is that so? ...Understood. We'll be waiting."

The high-ranking officers realized that an unexpected (irregular) event had occurred.

"The plans are now uncertain. Representatives of participating countries are insisting on fighting the Gra Valkan fleet in Cartalpas. Mirishial is trying to persuade them, but it seems the argument is going nowhere."

In the face of this unexpected turn of events, the officers were left speechless. Yet, one of them, unable to stay silent, asked a question.

"Commander, what is our country planning to do?"

All attention turned to Samejima in response to the question from the Akizuki's captain.

"Diplomatic Aide Inoue will come aboard to check with the mainland."

Samejima conveyed only the facts. Saying more seemed like it would lead to his resignation from the SDF.

While Inoue was holed up in the communication room, Samejima was admiring photos taken at the port in the FIC. Both the CIC and FIC strictly prohibited bringing personal electronic devices, but since these were photos taken during official duties, they could be viewed on the ship's facilities.

"What are you looking at, Commander?"

Somehow, the Akizuki's captain had peeked in from behind. Since these were photos taken on official duty, there was no need to hide.

"The Grade Atlastar."

Samejima gauged the reactions around him. The faces were full of curiosity, perhaps reflecting the nature of seafaring men.

"Can I borrow the main monitor?"

"Please go ahead, sir."

When Samejima called an operator, the Grade Atlastar appeared on the main monitor, causing a slight murmur from the surroundings.

"The mast and turrets look... quite similar to the Yamato-class, don't they?" the Akizuki's captain wondered.

"When they drew up plans based on satellite photos, it turned out to be almost identical to the Yamato-class."

"Does she have two secondary turrets?"

"Two. No second or third secondary turrets on the port and starboard. It seems to be the configuration at the late Pacific War."

"Do you have a photo taken from behind the mast?"

"The radar is on the port side."

"...So, the Yamato?"

"The Yamato."

The conversation took a slightly deeper turn. Samejima decided to switch to a more meaningful topic.

"If you look closely, there are differences from the Yamato-class. For example, the main turret."

Samejima wiggled the pointer.

"The telescopic sight and rangefinder for aiming are the same as the Yamato-class, but there's something extra that the Yamato-class doesn't have."

"Is that a surface search radar?" one of the officers raised his voice.

"You think so too. It seems this one can perform radar-aided targeting."