Chapter 17

Kang Nari

Kang Nari

Nari realized that there had not been a single day when she did not feel dread building up in her stomach as she entered the premises of Shinhwa High every morning. For the first time in a long while, she found herself thinking ill of her family for putting her in the mess called Shinhwa. 

Just what were they thinking?

Shaking her head to herself, Nari let out a loud sigh which did not go unnoticed by butler Kim. 

"It'll be alright, Miss Nari. You never know, today might bring something new." Butler Kim tried giving her hope. 

Nari wondered if he himself believed the words that came out of his mouth. Hope is something she hadn't dared to do in a long time. She figured if one doesn't hope for things, they wouldn't get disappointed. 

And so, she remained quiet as they entered through the main gates of Shinhwa. However, what made Nari apprehensive was the fact that instead of a bustling courtyard, she was met with an eerily silent graveyard like on her first day. 

It can't be related to Jandi, could it?

No, it couldn't be. Nari had sternly told Jandi to stay at home. She could only hope Jandi being out of sight of people would eventually make them forget about her and move on with their lives. It was honestly sad that Jandi was the one having to hide when she hadn't done anything wrong and Nari felt frustrated for not being able to do anything. It wasn't like she was on good terms with her family to ask them for their help. 

She wasn't on any terms with her family. 

"Ms. Nari." Butler Kim called out to her. It was then Nari realized that the car had come to a stop and Butler Kim was holding the car door open for her, expecting her to come out. 

Nari let out a tired sigh, not even trying to hide her disdain. 

"Thank you, Butler Kim." Nari said as she took his hand and stepped out of the car.

"Should I follow you in, Ms. Nari?" Butler Kim asked, gesturing at the empty courtyard. 

Nari knew that Butler Kim too had felt the weird energy. She almost agreed to his offer but realized that she couldn't rely on him for her entire life. She would eventually have to start fighting her own fears and it seemed like now was the moment for her to try. 

Nari shook her head despite every fiber of her body screaming at her to do otherwise. She supposed her body was entering the fight-or-flight mode. 

"I got this." Nari reassured Butler Kim seeing the concerned look on his face.

I have got to got this. 

She almost cringed at her inner attempt to reassure herself but everything about her felt in-progress, so she let go.