Chapter 15

Kang Nari

Kang Nari

Nari knew she was being frantic and very much beside herself as she speed-walked like a maniac toward Jandi's classroom. 

As soon as the lunch had ended, Nari heard whispers from a few of the incoming students regarding a wild rumor around the school regarding some 'Miss G.' being pregnant. 

How Nari wished her intuition was wrong and that the rumor was not about Geum Jandi, since it was not beyond Jun-pyo to stoop down to such a low level. 

Regardless of the situation, she needed to check on her friend, even if it meant not going to a class or two. Shaking her head, Nari started jogging as the crowded hallway parted for like the Red sea, a trail of whispers following behind her like a shadow. 

Upon reaching Jandi's class, Nari walked in without a pause. The class had still not started due to the students still returning from the lunch. Nari noticed Jandi was absent from the class.

She shook her head at her own foolishness. Of course, Jandi wouldn't be in the classroom yet. She would still be at the swimming pool, having spent the lunch break there.

As she was about to leave, what caught her eye was the blackboard at the front of the classroom. She could not help the gasp of disbelief that escaped her as her mind comprehended the words on the board. 

Someone had clearly attempted to erase the words, but the after-marks of the chalk still remained on the board, the words still legible. 

Nari could feel eyes on her as she walked towards the blackboard, the classroom enveloped in silence. But in that moment, as her mind was clouded with disbelief and uncertainty, she could not bring herself to care about the attention on her. 

Upon reaching the board, she gingerly touched what remained of the insults with Jandi's name as she felt her entire resolve dissolve. 

This was not at all what she wanted when she started a new journey at her school. It pained her like nothing before as her eyes grazed over all of the foul insults directed towards Geum Jandi. 

The class remained perfectly still, not a single person dared to even breathe loudly, afraid of messing with the still water that was now Kang Nari. 

Nari was broken out of her mulling by the sound of another bell ringing, indicating that the class will start soon and that students should be in their respective classrooms by now. 

Taking a frantic look around the classroom and still not seeing Jandi, Nari felt dread build up in her stomach. Her mind rushed to the worst possible scenarios. 

Clutching the empty juice bottle in her hand, Nari rushed out of the classroom. The hallways were not empty due to the students having gone to their classes. Nari felt her vision cloud as she jogged towards the direction of the swimming pool hall. She figured running through the stairs would be easier than waiting for an elevator.