Chapter 6

Kang Nari

Kang Nari

"Thank you for the information, little genius." Kang Nari said, ruffling Gandi's brother's hair. Nari enjoyed the way the tips of his ears turned pink at the compliment.

Kang Nari thought Jandi's younger brother, Geum Kang-San, was an adorable little thing with a smart mouth. She enjoyed being around him. She wondered if this is what her younger brother would have been like if she had one. She had an older half-brother and an older half-sister. Even then, the relationship between them was bitter. 

"Agreed. Good job, Kang-San-ah." Geum Jandi, too, ruffled her brother's hair. 

"Noona, stop! You're embarrassing me in front of the pretty noona." Kang-San whined, slapping Geum Jandi's hand away. Geum Jandi playfully poked her tongue out at her brother, threatening him to do anything about it. Nari, on the other hand, was amused by the effect she had on the child.

"Don't worry, Nari-ya. They are always like this." Gaeul whispered, inching closer to where Nari stood. Nari just smiled at Gaeul in response, showing she didn't mind at all.

Seeing Jandi and Kang-San bicker like typical siblings warmed Nari's heart. A genuine smile found its way to Nari's face.

The siblings' banter was broken by Jandi's father's head poking through the doorway.

"Jandi, Kang-San, dinner is ready. Gaeul and Jandi's new friend, you should stay for dinner." He invited. All people in question except for Nari gave affirmative nods. 

"I don't want to intervene, uncle. I should get going. The dinner must be ready at my house too." Nari tried to reject the offer politely. She almost winced as uttered the last sentence.

"Don't worry about intervening, child. Any friend of Jandi is always welcome here. We can always talk to your parents to ask for permission." Jandi's father assured. Nari knew he meant well but she still couldn't help the bitter feeling that took over her when he mentioned her parents.

"No need for that, uncle. They're out of country for business." Nari lied. It was wrong to lie but she couldn't just reveal her life history in front of others now, can she?

"Then it's settled." Jandi claimed, coming over and linking her arms with Nari. Gaeul, too, grabbed the other arm.

"If it's the food you're worried about, you can ask Gaeul. My wife's cooking is amazing." Jandi's father proudly claimed. Gaeul nodded her eagerly, affirming the claim.

"Please stay, noona." Jandi's little brother stood in front of Nari, looking down. His face was flustered as he addressed the older girl. Nari felt her heart melt at the scene. 

So adorable. 

Nari gently releases her arms from Jandi and Gaeul and bends down to Kang-San's level. 

"Okay. But only because you insisted so cutely." Nari agrees, ruffling the little boy's hair, making the boy go two shades pinker. 

Jandi lets out an offended sound as Nari uttered those words, muttering something along the lines of how Nari was Jandi's friend and not Kang-San's.