55.(HC) wretched and gorgeous

HARRY

LXXVIII

He spent the whole day thinking about what he would say to Hermione.

How much information he would tell her was not the problem. Everything, he would trust her with everything.

How to start without a "please help me save my boyfriend" ?

«Because I don't know... I don't know what I would do if...»

Except that Harry did know. The suspicion lied in the middle of his chest.

As intensely as he had cared for Cedric since dinner, when he hadn't shown up. Then his thoughts also turned to Cedric and Malcolm's enigmatic explanation saying that he had things to do. What things…?

Perhaps he was exaggerating by wishing he had his map to look for him.

Cedric seemed to be handling things… better than expected. 

And he would be fine...

If they could come up with a plan.  

LXXIX

At five past one in the morning, Harry peeked out at the bottom of the stairs.

Hermione instantly jumped out of her seat. 

The dim light was no obstacle to notice her restlessness.

"What happened? Harry, it's late,” her whisper echoed through the deserted common room, and Hermione crossed her arms over her pajamas. "Very late. I hope it's important. Tomorrow there is…"

"It's important," he interrupted. "I think that's how you'll see it too."

Hermione dropped her arms in alarm. "Is it about the Tournament? Don't tell me you aren't closer to solving what you'd do at the task yet…"

Putting it in those terms was taking it too far.

Harry would rather say he had it almost half figured out. 

He placed the privacy charm Cedric taught him, just in case. 

“It has something to do with the Tournament… Just not like you imagine." 

LXXX

He would expect any kind of reaction from Hermione.

Concern, anger…

Or even that she walked from side to side reflecting and talking.

Not that she stood still with her mouth open and all she said was, “This is a colossal mess. A real catastrophe." 

Her haunting statement took his breath away. 

It wasn't like Harry had thought it would turn out great, but he flopped down on the couch, covering his face with both hands until he began to hear every murmur that came from his best friend. 

"This is…"

"How is it possible?"

Hermione's words sounded from different sides.

Harry opened one eye and saw her pacing around the couch.

"Who would think of it?"

"Me," he answered, sunk into the cushions, almost with a smile because at least he had an answer to offer. "I can't blame myself."

“Irresponsible, Harry, that's what it is. It's the worst thing you could have done!"

He had no desire to point out that, technically, he hadn't done it.