Chapter thirteen-

Needless to say Melissa was a wreck by the morning because of Thomas's late night outbursts.

Nevertheless she got up and went to work while her unstable little boy slept in the room across from her.

Before leaving she opened the door to check on Thomas. He had the blanket I between his legs and arms as if it could be a person he was holding-Newt.

His face was still shining with fresh tears meaning he had been crying not too long ago.

It broke Melissa's heart to see her baby like this.

Thomas stirred slightly as Melissa closed the door and went on her way to work.

Thomas woke up at around 1:00 because the house phone was ringing.

He hadn't really slept, he just stayed under the covers not wanting to move.

Thomas didn't seem to care about anything but something compelled him to answer the phone.

With strength he didn't know he had, Thomas got out of bed and ran downstairs answering the phone on its final ring.

"Hello?" He answered in a newly awoken voice.

"Hello! My name is doctor.Mitchell is a Melissa O'Brien able to come to the phone right now?" An older voice said into the phone.

"She's actually at work right now. I'm her son, can I take a message?" He asked trying to not think about Newt. It could be a call about anything.

"Okay it's about Newt, do you know who that is?" The doctor said and Thomas didn't know what to think.

He wanted to hope it was good but then he would feel ten times worse if it was bad.

"Y-yes. I know him quite well." Thomas stammered.

"Do you know who his legal guardian or guardians are? It seems the only information we had was your mothers house phone, and we don't know how to contact his family."

Thomas swallowed thinking of Newts awful home life. "Newt has a mother and a father, but they treat him very badly. I was planning for him to come live with me but then he...got hit by a truck. His parents don't seem to want him and haven't given my any contact information, I apologize."

The doctor cleared his throat. "Very well. Thank you for the information you did share, Thomas."

"Uh wait!" Thomas yelped quickly before the doctor hung up the phone.

"Yes?" The doctor asked, slightly irritated.

"H-how is N-Newt doing?" Thomas stuttered, nervous for the answer that lay ahead.

He heard the doctor inhale a breath then answer slowly. "I'm sorry, but Newt is still in critical condition."