012. THINGS I HAVE PATIENCE FOR TODAY: NOT THIS

CHAPTER TWELVE: THINGS I HAVE PATIENCE FOR TODAY: NOT THIS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"YOU'RE NOW OFF the case."

Confusion and disbelief washed over the cyber analyst. She raised her hands in a defensive gesture, trying to grasp the unexpected turn of events. A chuckle escaped her lips, a defense mechanism to cope with the shock. Her perfectly arched eyebrow climbed to new heights on her forehead, almost disappearing into her hairline.

"Wait, what, sir—" Beatrice began, her voice a mix of incredulity and frustration. She couldn't fathom why she was being removed from the case. The air thickened with tension as she accused, "Is this because of my behavior earlier? Were you so affected that you're making this decision?" Disappointment laced her words as she clapped her hands, grappling with the unjust decision. "Fine, even though I did nothing truly wrong," she defended herself. "I was just irritated, and I apologize if you took it personally."

However, her attempt at reconciliation met a cold response. Hotchner's arms were folded, a stoic figure unmoved by her words. "The order didn't come from me."

Beatrice inhaled sharply, her parted lips poised to inquire, but Hotchner preemptively addressed the question forming in her mind.

"The order came from Sebastian."

His words struck her like a snapped rubber band against her cheek, causing an involuntary flinch.

The familiar sting of overprotection engulfed her as her uncle persisted in treating her like a fragile being. Beneath their concerns lurked the weariness of a grown woman, no longer the timid child who witnessed her father's sacrifice. Fists clenched, her nails dug into her palms with an intensity that hinted at her frustration. The burning desire to apprehend her father's murderer fueled her, a quest for justice that demanded trust. The question echoed in her mind: Why couldn't they trust her capability to protect herself? The fatigue of being perceived as incapable gnawed at her. I'm really tired of people treating me like I'm incapable of protecting myself.

"Though your accusations warrant disciplinary action, do you truly believe I want you removed from this case?" His determined strides closed the distance, collecting folders from the desk as he spoke. "You've been mandated to take a three-week break."

She had enough of this.

"Take a break? Bullshit," scoffed the woman, forcefully extracting her ID and taser. With a deliberate toss onto the desk, she locked eyes with her leader, her once-blue gaze now a searing, icy intensity. "Tell my uncle he can shove them up his ass. I'm resigning." The words were spat out, accompanied by a sharp spin that echoed her discontent, heels nearly screeching against the floor. Hand on the doorknob, she declared, "You can expect my resignation letter when we get back, Hotch. This will be my last case."