008. GUY IN PHILOSOPHY CLASS NEEDS TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

CHAPTER EIGHT: GUY IN PHILOSOPHY CLASS NEEDS TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THERE WAS SOMETHING going on.

And she felt it in the air as soon as she stepped inside the bullpen, a subtle shift in the atmosphere that signaled something was amiss. She tried to decipher the underlying tension, and couldn't help but wonder what had transpired in her absence. Her blonde curls bounced wildly around her as she hurriedly made her way to her office, the weight of the files in her arms a constant reminder of her tardiness.

Beatrice's heart sank as she glanced at the wall clock, realizing she was already an hour late. Chiara's tearful plea earlier made it difficult for her to leave immediately in her uncle's care and so she had spent precious time comforting her niece, ensuring she was calm and settled before finally departing. Striking a balance between personal and professional life was a constant challenge for someone working for the FBI to navigate.

As soon as she swung her office door open, she was immediately met with Hotch's stern question, "Where's Sterling?" He stood in the middle of the room, his hands on his hips, and a deep furrow in his eyebrows, indicating his clear disapproval. Kevin Lynch, Penelope's boyfriend, was also present, and she assumed he was there for either assistance or to visit his girlfriend. Beatrice could feel the weight of her boss's gaze on her, and she braced herself for whatever he was about to say next

"I'm here."

She placed the stack of paperwork on her desk, trying to catch her breath as she faced Hotchner's stern expression. The unit chief turned his attention to the other male, addressing him with authority. "Kevin."

"Yes, sir?"

"She's busy now."

Kevin looked slightly taken aback, but he quickly caught on to Hotch's message. "Oh, right, right. Sorry," he stammered before making a swift exit.

Once they were alone, their team leader wasted no time in giving Garcia orders, his focus shifting back to Beatrice. "Sterling, a word?"

Beatrice's emotions churned as she faced his intense gaze. She sensed concern, a hint of frustration, but also an understanding that they were all dealing with a demanding workload. Bracing herself, she followed him, her heart pounding as she anticipated the conversation. "You're late."

"Good morning to you too, sir."

He shot her a disapproving glare.

"I'm sorry I was late today," she offered sincerely, hoping to diffuse the situation.

"Do better tomorrow."

Her tense shoulders relaxed slightly. The past few days had been a whirlwind of tasks and responsibilities, including overseeing Jordan as the temporary communications liaison and handling paperwork alongside Hotch. The revelation of her boss's workload had come as a surprise, and it made her admire his ability to maintain a work-life balance, even if it meant sacrificing some personal time.