Chapter 6 - The concert

September 4th, 1964

Dear diary,

Today I will finally go to a concert of the Animals. I'm a huge fan of this band and I'm in love with Hilton. I hope I will see them well, especially Hilty. I am sure the concert will go and end well, even though these three brats might be near Candice and I. But I will make sure not to meet them.
Five days ago, we went to the mall to get our outfits for today (and we also met the brats but no one cares) and yesterday I got a haircut. I made sure to be the prettiest possible today, and let's see what happens.

You go down the stairs, all prepared, with an album of the Animals in your hands, and you call Candice :

"Hello ?"

"Hi, Candice ! So, we meet in front of the theater, right ?"

"Yes. See you there !"

"Bye-bye !"

You head to the front door and see your mother there.

"Are you ready ?"

"Yes."

"Then, I'll let you go. Have fun !"

"Thank you, ma ! I'll make sure to be safe !"

"I love you !"

You open the door and walk out. It is finally time. You feel butterflies of excitement in your stomach as you make your way to the bus stop. When the bus arrives, you greet the driver, hand him your ticket and go and find a seat. You ride the bus to the theater. When you finally arrive, you get off and lean in on your tip-toes to try to see if Candice is here. Then, you notice a movement on your right. You turn your head and see Candice waving, so you run through the crowd, saying sorry to every person you unintentionally push on your way. You finally arrive in front of Candice.

"Hii !"

"Hi, (y/n) !" She exclaims, jumping in your arms to hug you.

"Now, we just have to wait... The theater will be full today, for sure..." You turned around to a huge crowd.

"We'll wait... Again. But in our lives, we do have to wait for the best things. It's crucial. Something little Peggy and her two friends might not understand..." She said, making sarcastic puppy eyes and then bursting out laughing.

You both have a good laugh. You continue waiting for the next 30 minutes.

"I'm so glad we're finally here !"

"I can't wait to go and get my seat and finally get to see the Animals in real life !"

A few minutes later, you were seated. You had to wait a few more minutes because of everyone waiting to get seated at the entrance. Then, the show finally started, and everybody started cheering. Eric Burdon started to speak into the microphone to greet everybody and the cheering got louder and louder. Candice and you started cheering as well. You even heard some girls near you scream "WE LOVE YOU ERIC !".

Then, the music started playing and you straightened up to try and see where Hilton is. At this moment, they are playing 'House of the Rising Sun'. After a bit, you saw Hilton clearly – because you were not very far away from the stage – and you started getting all excited so you told Candice. She tried to see him as well. You started to cheer much louder and began losing control of yourself. You still tried to stay calm because they were playing their most iconic song. As soon as it ended, you screamed :