1.7: Ellaria - All The King's Horses.

Azriel returned to the house late at night. Ellaria was in her room when he set foot in the house again. She heard him walking softly through the house, from the living room to the stairs and past the hallways until he was in front of her door. He stood there still for a long moment, while Ellaria looked at the wood of the door as if she could see through it, waiting patiently.

Ellaria moved her pen again on the paper of her diary as Azriel knocked softly on the door, pushing it slowly without waiting for a response. She had been writing for a couple hours now, sitting in the middle of the bed, wearing silk pajamas and no socks, while the winds played with her hair. She didn't look up from her writing as she ordered the winds to stop playing. Azriel opened the door. He did not enter the room, just leaned against the door frame, in an almost timid way.

"Do I have to repeat the «I don't bite» comment, Azie?" she continued not looking at him yet, but knew Aziel could see her amused smile from the door.

"I wouldn't believe you even if you tattooed it on me" the funniest thing Azriel seemed to be completely honest in his mockery,he really didn't believe her

Wise decision, Ellaria thought.

Ellaria looked at him through her eyelashes, pretending to be offended as she placed her hand over her heart dramatically. "Azie, my heart. You hurt it" she complained with a small pout.

A smile completely broke Azriel's neutral expression. Damn, the man was handsome. And those were big words coming from Ellaria, since she was the one who had the reputation of being a heartbreaker among her relatives.

Contrary to popular belief among her cousins, she didn't really enjoy passing from person to person. The truth was that after the first few decades, she had become somewhat bored with never knowing anyone well enough. But, for what her life is, she also didn't have the time or energy to meet people sometimes, so she had fallen into that routine very deeply at one point in her youth and had stayed there for an embarrassing amount of time.

It had been years since she had left that behind, but the general idea about her love life remained the same and the truth is that she had accumulated a large list of exes ranging from mortals, other demigods, legacies (who are descendants of demigods) and even the occasional god. The last one happened twice and never again, because she wasn't about to give birth to a demigod herself. She wouldn't take the risk of doing that to a child.

But something about Azriel had her overwhelmed. She found herself letting his eyes scan her face more than was surely appropriate. The angles of his face reminded her of the sculptures in the museums of Troy, the ones that were worthy of the gods' appreciation. The hazel color of his eyes was familiar, as if when in the sunlight they reminded her of the ichor that ran in her own veins.

Azriel shifted in place, as though he was suddenly uncomfortable, standing up straight under her gaze, and the shadows surrounded him again. Ellaria felt her smile fall slowly, and covertly brushed her hair away from her face to hide her disappointment, as she watched the illyrian abandon his carefree attitude to once again stand like the soldier he was, ready for battle.

Ellaria didn't like that, but she didn't question it, as he cleared his throat.

"The High Lord and High Lady of the night court wish to meet with you, Ellaria of Troy." The way it was said, felt like a forced distance between them. "They will arrive in the evening, tomorrow, and you are invited to join us for a meal" the word invited, she suspected, was as false as the «I don't bite» statement she had repeated.

"Very well," Ellaria nodded slightly, looking at Azriel one last time before going back to writing in her notebook.

Azriel waited a little, looking at her, before turning around and leaving the room without looking back. She could not hear his footsteps, so she assumed , when his presence had disappeared from the house, it was because he faded into the shadows. Ellaria let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding when the wind confirmed her suspicions, and she continued writing more intensely than before.