prologue

(present time 2024)

As I walk through the door, I hear the familiar sound of the bell, which makes me feel more at ease. I gently close the door behind me again once I'm inside. Once I'm sure it's safe, I take off the hood of my coat and breathe a sigh of relief.

I always come here looking for an escape from home. I know they won't come looking for me here, it's the one place they don't know about yet. And I'm more than happy about that.

I walk to the department of history books and books on myths and legends to pick out a new book and put my old one back on the shelf.

When I have found an interesting book I look around looking for a seat when I see a small blue bench in the corner of the department. I immediately walk over to the bench, plop down and make myself comfortable.

I am about to open my book when I hear someone behind me which makes my heart rate go up slightly and making me alert. I have to be ready for everything.

"So the bookworm is back." I hear a male voice say. Recognizing his voice I immediately relax.

"Seriously, you scared me to death, Alexander." I say in a relieved tone.

I hear him laugh behind me before he comes to stand in front of me. "You really need to pay better attention to your surroundings."

I roll my eyes at him annoyed. "Give me this one moment of peace..."

"That bad huh?" he raises his eyebrow at me. I just nod at him not having the energy to explain the whole situation. Even though I know he will ask without being able to get out of it.

Seeing my lack of response and my somber expression, he grabs a chair from the section next door and sets it across from me before sitting down.

Nope, I won't get out of this....

"What happened?" he asks worriedly.

"You know, the usual." I sigh with frustration and fatigue.

Alexander is more than aware of my home situation. We have known each other for a long time. He was my mentor and best friend. Moreover, I am probably his most frequent customer.

But our relationship goes far beyond bookseller and customer. Due to the fact that he knows who and what I really am and that he is also part of this world.

He has dark brown tousled hair with chestnut brown eyes. Today he is wearing a white shirt with dark blue jeans and black shoes.

He is a few millennia old but mostly takes the form of a man in his twenties. That's one of the advantages of us, we can change our appearance without aging. He was born a little after the creation of the world, therefore he is in reality very old.

Well, the beginning of the world as it is known in our culture.

People no longer know of our existence, but they used to. They honored us and made sacrifices in exchange for our help and advice.

Throughout history, many legends and myths have been spread about us, and it is interesting and funny to see some of the stories that people have spread about us. But not all of them are the truth, many have been made up for people's amusement.

But since we no longer exist in their minds, it is not up to us to correct those lies. We have been living in secrecy for several centuries now. But many of us live among men disguised as one.

So we still exist, it's just not known anymore. Which is a pity, I would have liked to have lived in a time when we were publicly known. But I'm too young to have lived in that time.