Chapter 12

Akiko P.O.V.

I'm a little surprised to see Minato with his little sister Kazue. She's just a couple of years younger than us. They're with Jinshi, which makes me even more curious. "Good morning, my darling. How are you feeling?" Jinshi asks as he places his hand on my lower back. "Good morning Zuigetsu-sama. Morning walks help so I feel a little better" I say. "Good morning, it's good to see you both" I say, smiling at Minato and Kazue. "What's going on here?" I ask Jinshi. "Well, Kazue here is going to be your new attendant. And Minato has agreed to become the doctor assistant/pharmacist for the outer court office" Jinshi says. "You both took jobs here? Why?" I ask. "They're here so you have someone to talk to you in your own language. So you won't feel so much alone. You needed an attendant anyway. Even Mao Mao has one, a friend she made while she worked here so why wouldn't you?" Jinshi asks. I smile brightly. "Thank you" I say. "Of course." Jinshi says, softly stroking my cheek. "I'll come check on you later" he says, and then turns to Minato. "Let me show you to your new workplace" he says. Minato winks at me before he walks with Jinshi. "It's so good to see you!" Kazue says in our own language as she grabs my hands. "It is! How are you?" I ask. "I'm well, excited for this opportunity. I was struggling in our village so I was happy when Niisan wrote to me" Kazue says. "What about you? You're pregnant, how exciting! Worry not, I will attend to your every need" she says. I smile slightly. "Where are you staying? Will Minato be near you even though he's working in the outer court?" I ask. "He has a place at the outer court, and my room is near yours. But we'll see each other much more than when he was a traveling merchant so it's fine" Kazue says. She then smiles brightly at me. "So, is there anything you need, Akiko-sama?" She asks. Sama is a little awkward coming from her but I'll accept it. "Let's finish my walk together, and then it's time to take the herbal tea I bought from Minato" I say. "Leave it to me" Kazue says proudly. I chuckle. "It's good to speak this language again, from time to time. Are you alright with this one?" I ask. "Niisan thought me, and practice with me. I'll be fine" she says.

I'm in the shade of a tree, somewhere in the inner court near the doctor's office, waiting for Kazue to return from an errand I had her do. "It's a nice day, isn't it?" Jinshi asks as he walks up. I smile at him. "It is." I say. "I heard you went to the doctor" Jinshi says. "If you know that, then you also know what he said?" I ask. "I do. I am very happy with that news" Jinshi says. I place my hand on my stomach for a second. "I'm starting to be happy too" I say. Jinshi smiles. "That's good, my darling" he says. "Where is Kazue?" He then asks, looking around. "I was craving something sweet, so she's getting some for me" I say, smiling. Jinshi smiles again. "I see. Then I'll wait with you until she returns" he says. "I don't want to keep you" I say. "It's fine" Jinshi says. As it's silent, I look at him. "You look tired" I say. "I do?" Jinshi asks, his fingertips touching his cheekbones. "I guess I didn't sleep all to well" he adds. "Please take good care of yourself Zuigetsu-sama" I say. "No need to worry about me, I'll be fine" Jinshi says with a smile, and then he places a kiss on my forehead. "But thank you" he says. "I have a tea with herbs that could help you sleep" I say. "Mao Mao said the same. But it's fine. Thank you though." Jinshi says. "You seem most comfortable with her. Perhaps you should stay the night with her and you'd have a good nights rest" I say. Jinshi looks at me a little strangely. "What if I wanted to spend the night with you?" He asks. "If it would help you sleep better, you are more than welcome in my bed" I answer. "And if it doesn't help me sleep?" Jinshi asks. "You would still be welcome, though I'd advise against it since your sleep is important" I say. Jinshi sighs. "Silly woman" he says. I tilt my head slightly. Jinshi pulls me toward him and places a kiss on my temple. "You don't need to worry about me, or my rest. Take care of yourself, and our baby in your belly first" he says. When he sees Kazue walking towards us, with something in her hands he smiles, and leaves.

I'm happy to see that Kazue and Mao Mao's attendant seem to getting along well, as we spend much of our time together. Even though Basen always keeps his distance to women, when he's around Kazue and Xiaolan he seems to let down his guard. I'm on the porch with Jinshi and Mao Mao, having tea. But secretly I watch our attendants. Seems like he's taking a liking to Kazue. I glance at Mao Mao and Jinshi, but both seem to be in deep thoughts as well. "Is there anything I can do to help ease your burdens?" I ask. "No" they both say in unison. "Sorry...." I say awkwardly. Jinshi looks at me. "You don't need to be sorry, my darling." He says, placing his hand on my arm. "There's nothing you can do. But thank you for asking" he says. I pull my arm from hand. "I see" I say standing up. "Kazue, I'm ready to leave" I say. Kazue looks up. "Yes Akiko-sama" she says, walking over. Leaving Basen and Xiaolan with a slightly disappointed look in their eyes. "Already? Please don't leave" Jinshi says, grabbing my hand. "You didn't even finish the tea" he adds. "My apologies, but I just can't stay" I say, and with that I walk off the porch, and away with Kazue. Leaving Jinshi and Mao Mao behind, stunned. "Is everything alright, Akiko-sama? You left quite abruptly" Kazue asks carefully after we walked for a while in silence. "No" I sigh. "I felt left out. I feel sick for almost the whole day, because he put a child in me, and yet I still came for tea when he asked me to" I say. "And they're so busy in their minds. Then don't invite me over. It's hard enough as it is" I say. Kazue doesn't respond. "It's selfish, isn't it?"
I ask, feeling guilty immediately. "I'm not sure. You're the one carrying the baby" Kazue says. "But I think they just enjoyed your company, even though they had their own thoughts. I think they just enjoyed your company" she adds. "You're probably right" I sigh. "I'm awful. I'm an awful woman" I say when we reach my room. Kazue chuckles. "No you're not" she says, fluffing up the pillows of my sofa. "Please sit down, be comfortable and I'll brew you your tea so you can take a nap afterwards" Kazue says.