cope

(Chris's POV)

 After we got out of that place and got away from Wesker before that place exploded too much more we ran to my helicopter. My ears started to ring from the explosion and my leg, while able to walk on it now, still ached. I wanted to focus on piloting the helicopter but just too much shit filled my mind. I haven't seen my sister in so long and when we finally get to reunite she has to go through another traumatic event.

 I wanted to ask Clare so many things and I wanted to comfort her but I had no idea where to start. She's my sister, I should at least attempt to comfort her, it is getting awkward after all. I love flying but my sister sniffling in silence isn't the best mood-setter.

 ".. I'm sorry about that Steve guy...Clare.."

 I quickly regretted saying that. No thought went into my statement and it sounded more awkward than just sitting in silence.

 "I..it's fine Chris." 

She said quietly while wiping her tears away. 

 "Who was he anyways?"

 "He was also stuck on Rockford with me. We've grown close all this time.. and now he's gone.." 

 I stayed silent. I didn't know what to say. I felt bad and I wanted to comfort her but I can't say anything at the moment. 

 "He said that.. he loved me before he passed... I wish... I could have said it back.."

 Tragic. All I can think about is how tragic this all is. But no matter how tragic this whole thing is I stay silent. Usually, I'm fantastic at comforting Clare but at this moment I.. I guess I'm still in shock. My head is blank other than pity. I figured to go ahead and just ask her questions. Would be better than doing nothing...

 "So you love him? I thought you and that Leon kid were together?" 

 Or maybe doing nothing was better. Had to dive head-first into the insensitivity didn't I? I would've slapped myself if I was busy piloting a damn helicopter copter. Why did I ev—

 " no no, me and Leon are just friends." 

 Clare sighed."I was considering it at one point though." She chuckled. "But I just couldn't see me having a future with him." 

 "Understandable."

 Clare started to look outside the window, staring at the ground trying to think of a way to change the subject, so that she could focus on calming down.

 "So.. uhh.. do you and Barry still hate each other?"

 I side-eyed her.

 " wouldn't say hate, or at least on Barry's part. He's not the type to hate someone like me. I don't care what happens to him though."

 "Seems petty."

 "YOU'RE PETTY—"

Claire rolled her eyes and just looked out the window for the rest of the flight. maybe I should stop being so hard on myself. I'm off my meds and I'm still panicking from what just happened.

 I hope there's nowhere but up from here