Chapter 8: Day Of The Dragon

"Sink the ferry! No one gets off the island!" Jay yelled as the Master of Nature gleefully summoned vines to wrap around the ship, dragging it below the water. "The palace and sleeping quarters are all clear. No sign of Chen or Clouse," Cole reported as he walked over to the ninja. "What about Skylor?" Kai asked, worried for her. "My sister and I might not have been able to pick our father, but we were able to pick our friends. And since you're her friend, so are we," Ophelia assured him. "She's right. With no way off the island, it's only a matter of time," Cole added confidently. "I'm proud of you six. You've done what the previous Elemental Masters couldn't: stick together," Garmadon praised. "Yes, but we mustn't get over confident. You cannot rest on your laurels, for your guard is down when you sleep," Ophelia warned as Garmadon nodded grimly in agreement. The ninja were now standing with Nya, preparing the vehicles for another search of the island as Griffin appeared before them in a burst of speed. "Chen just figured out Skylor's power can finish the spell! She's in danger," Griffin explained quickly. "He's replaced the elements in his staff with the elements in his daughter," Garmadon deduced, disgusted. "Where?" Kai asked Turner. "The other side of the island," Turner replied. "I'm going after her," Kai declared, jumping into a vehicle. "We all are. Jay, Zane, you take the mech and buggy. Cole and I will take the Roto Jet. Lloyd, Lia, you have your dragons. Nya, how fast will she go?" Garmadon asked Nya, pointing to the mobile base after finishing giving out instructions. "Fast enough," Nya replied. "Everyone else, stay here and guard the camp. Let's get a move on," Ophelia ordered as the others nodded, jumping into their vehicles. Lloyd and Ophelia summoned their dragons as the pair flew above the others. "Watch out for booby traps! Chen's rigged the whole island," Nya warned. "Read you loud and clear," Jay replied. "Whoa!" The group turned as they saw Zane's buggy flip into a pit as he went too fast. "Zane!" Jay yelled, concerned. "Carry on the mission without me!" Zane told the group. "He's right. We have to stay on Skylor. She's too important," Kai agreed.

"Garmadon!" Ophelia yelled, pointing to the wing of the Roto Jet, which Clouse was tearing apart. Hearing her, Garmadon jumped out of the cockpit, grabbing Clouse as the pair fell into the forest, Ophelia flying down after them, concerned for her friend. "One of these days your son will have to stand on his own without his dear father," Clouse warned. "Not today!" Garmadon replied as the pair continued to fight, ultimately kicking each other to the ground before getting back up, Garmadon ducking to avoid a blast of dark magic from Clouse as Ophelia ran to his side, both glaring at Clouse. "You're going to have to do better than that if you want to get rid of us, Clouse," Ophelia informed him as Clouse snarled, glaring at her. "Oh, I have other things up my sleeve," Clouse assured her, chanting in a dark tongue as a blue portal opened before him, pulling at everything around it. "You've opened the Cursed Realm!" Garmadon realised, horrified as he and Ophelia grabbed onto a branch, struggling against the portal's pull, "Are you mad!"

"You banished the Anacondrai Generals there, Garmadon! I think it's time you answered to them!" Clouse yelled back. "You coward! Too scared to fight us yourself so you let the dead do your dirty work!" Ophelia accused, the branch she was holding breaking as she grabbed a vine instead to keep away from the portal while Clouse glared at her. "You grow wiser in your years, Garmadon. Unlike your friend, you know there's nothing to save you. Take in your last moments, Lord Garmadon. And know it was, I who defeated you. And I, who shall claim your title. I, Lord Clouse!" Clouse declared gleefully. "Never rest on your laurels! Because you lower your guard!" Ophelia yelled back, swinging over to him using the vine and pulling him closer to the portal. "No, you fool, you're pulling us both in!" Clouse yelled, panicked as Ophelia climbed over him. "No! Just you!" Ophelia yelled, kicking him into the portal as Clouse screamed in fear and rage before he was silenced, the portal closing behind him. "I hate magic," Garmadon sighed, panting for breath. "Agreed," Ophelia muttered, glaring at where the portal had been moments before.

"Still no sign of Chen?" Lloyd asked as he, Jay, Cole and Nya arrived back at the camp. "He escaped, but we'll find him. Did Zane ever return?" Cole asked Karlof. "Metal man? I have not seen him," Karlof replied. "Dad!" Lloyd yelled, running over and embracing him as Garmadon and Ophelia walked into the camp, "Are you okay? What happened?" "Clouse opened a portal to the Cursed Realm," Ophelia replied darkly to Lloyd's horror, "At least we won't have to worry about him anymore." "Yes, but I don't see Skylor or Kai," Garmadon added, looking around for them. "They said they were on their way," Shade replied, before Garmadon groaned in pain, collapsing forward as Ophelia caught him, his tattoo starting to glow through his robe. "Dad, what's wrong?" Lloyd asked, worried. "I don't know," Garmadon hissed out, clearly in pain. "Your tattoo. Chen's completing the spell," Ophelia realised, worried. "Something inside me. Something is happening," Garmadon groaned as he transformed into a half snake, "The spell... the spell is completed." "Oh no... if everyone with the mark of the Anacondrai is affected then..." Ophelia turned to the imprisoned cultists, who were easily ripping apart the ropes that had been holding them. "No," Lloyd murmured, looking at his father sadly. "Don't worry. I'm always on your side," Garmadon assured Lloyd.

"Let's get 'em guys!" Cole yelled, charging at the Anacondrai, but being easily overpowered by one of the cultists, "Uh... they're too strong." "They're too fast!" Turner added, the Anacondrai easily keeping up with his speed. "And they are too many," Ophelia finished, struggling against the horde of cultists that had charged her, "Retreat! Get everyone to the palace!" "Everyone to the palace!" Lloyd yelled in agreement. "Retreat! Everyone retreat!" Karlof shouted, relaying the order down the line as the Masters rushed into the palace, barricading the door as the cultists tried to force it open. "Ah! Snake among us!" Jay yelled as he noticed Garmadon, preparing to attack him with his lightning. "No, don't! It's my father," Lloyd explained. "First it was four arms, then you became a dragon. Would you mind picking a body and sticking with it please?!" Jay demanded, voice panicked. "We could use a little help," Cole groaned as the Masters struggled to hold back the physically stronger Anacondrai, "Does anyone know any knock-knock jokes? 'Cause this ain't funny anymore," Cole complained, only for the Anacondrai to suddenly stop trying to break in. "Where did they go?" Nya asked as Cole went to cautiously open the door. "No, don't! It could be a trick!" Jay warned, stopping Cole as the group climbed to the roof, only to find that the Anacondrai were boarding Rattle Copters as Chen sat in the Roto Jet, preparing to leave the island. "Take care of the island, it's yours. We'll be taking Ninjago now!" Chen declared gleefully as the Anacondrai flew away, leaving the Elemental Masters stranded on the island, having destroyed all the other ways off the island.

"This is just priceless! They took the Roto Jet and all of the Blade Copters!" Jay exclaimed, pointing out the obvious. "What have we done?" Nya questioned, horrified. "We all have families in Ninjago," Neuro added, worried. "Argh! And we had to destroy every way off the island! Who's idea was that?!" Jay yelled, forgetting that plan was entirely his own. "You were right, Ophelia. We thought we had the upper hand. Our guard was down, and look what happened," Cole lamented. "Lloyd and I will have to go alone," Ophelia replied stoically, Lloyd nodding in agreement. "And take on his whole army?" Nya replied, concerned and sceptical. "We have no choice. We're the only ones with Elemental Dragons," Lloyd argued. "Not anymore!" Zane yelled in reply, flying over on a titanium ice dragon. "He unleashed the dragon too!" Karlof yelled, pointing up at the dragon. "Oh, Zane, none of us could do that before. You have to tell us how you did that!" Jay yelled in excitement and amazement. "Simple. He faced his fears," Ophelia replied, impressed. "Yes, once I realised it wasn't something in front of me that held me back, but something inside of me, I found a deeper power. A dragon power," Zane explained. "All right!" Karlof yelled, excited. "Yeah!" Jay cheered. "Zane's right. We all have this power inside of us," Kai agreed as he flew towards the group, Skylor sitting behind him, "But you have to see it's not the Anacondrai we're afraid of, it's our doubt. Divided, we'll fail. But united, we will succeed." Hearing this, the other Elemental Masters summoned their dragons, flying up to Zane and Kai. "Metal dragon make Karlof very happy, happy," Karlof admitted, excited. "The battle of our past has returned. But we all shall rise to meet that challenge," Ophelia and Garmadon declared. "Chen brought us here so only one would remain. Well, we are one," Kai declared as the dragons took up formation, beginning to fly back towards Ninjago City.