Chapter 2: Only One Can Remain

The group arrived at the island as most of the competitors joined them at the front of the ship, staring at the island. "Look at that," Kai said, pointing out the temple on the island. "Let me see," Karlof demanded, pushing past Kai. "Do you mind," Kai asked, irritated as the two looked ready to start fighting again only to turn back to look at the island as they noticed many people on the shore training. A board was placed for everyone to get onto the island as Clouse walked down the plank. "Welcome to Chen's Island. The Tournament of Elements welcomes its brave fighters. Master Chen will be pleased you've returned. Sensei Garmadon," Clouse added mockingly. "The pleasure is all mine, Clouse," Garmadon replied coldly. "I'm sure it is," Clouse murmured sarcastically as he turned and began to walk up to the temple. "Definitely feeling some tension between you two," Jay noted as Lloyd nodded in agreement. "Yeah, have you been here before, dad?" Lloyd asked as Garmadon nodded in confirmation. "And how is it we're on an island not shown on any map?" Kai asked as Cole walked up to stand in front of Garmadon. "And care to explain why the face of Ninjago's most popular noodle restaurant is secretly running an underground fighting tournament?" Cole asked. "Master Chen was once a friend. Now he's a traitor," Ophelia explained, "During the Serpentine War Chen turned against his own kind, and sided with the treacherous snakes." "The battle dad and Uncle Wu fought together in? He was an enemy?" Lloyd asked, surprised as Ophelia nodded in confirmation. "From what I know, he used deception to divide the Elemental Masters, they barely defeated the Serpentine," Ophelia explained as Garmadon nodded in agreement, "And in a deal for his surrender, Chen was to never leave this island. Little did anyone know, he'd start to build his criminal empire from here." "He may have divided our ancestors, but he's not going to divide us," Lloyd replied confidently. The ninja keep on walking up the steps, only for Kai to push the group to the side, trying to act cool as the girl he saved from Karlof walks past. "Eh, eh, ladies first," Kai said as Ophelia coughed from behind him, "Uh, sorry Ophelia." The girl walks past, barely sparing him a glance. "Fire will melt her icy heart. Just wait," Kai said as Garmadon and Ophelia sighed in frustration before the group resumed the walk up to the Temple. "This is a big island. Keep an eye out. Zane could be anywhere," Cole said, earning a nod from the others as Clouse opened the outer door of the Temple. The Masters followed him into the Temple where drummers were playing along the sides of the carpet leading to the main door of the temple. "So this is the house that noodles built. I always wanted to go to a red carpet event," Jay said, starting to do a silly walk. "Chen lives like a king. Here he is totally self-sufficient. The only way on or off this island, is with his permission. Which you have to earn," Garmadon warned. "You never told me about this place. How do you and Ophelia know so much about this island?" Lloyd asked Garmadon. "Everything Ophelia knows about this place, she learned from me. And I know so much because before Chen was my enemy, he was my sensei," Garmadon revealed, lowering his robe to show his purple anacondrai tattoo.

The group is now sitting with the other Elemental Masters in a semi-circle inside the temple, Ophelia and Lloyd on each side of Garmadon. "You never told me you had a sensei," Lloyd said, looking at his dad as he sighed. "When I was your age I... sought a darker means of guidance. He taught me to win at any cost, no matter who I hurt. It wasn't until you and Lia saved me, that I saw the light," Garmadon said as the pair smiled at Garmadon. "Apparently he also never taught you to have a sense of humour. I mean, come on, we're in an underground fight club. This is supposed to be fun," Jay said. "With Master Chen involved, I highly doubt this will be fun," Ophelia told Jay darkly as Garmadon nodded grimly in agreement, "Though from what I've heard, he has a penchant for theatrics." Clouse then banged the gong, ending the chatter in the room. "All rise for Master Chen," Clouse ordered as the fighters did so, tinny music playing over speakers as Chen's throne was lowered by strings from the ceiling. "Welcome to the Tournament of Elements. Now everyone can all die-" Chen declared, the doors slamming shut as the fighters except for Ophelia and Garmadon gasped in shock and fear, "-rect your attention to me!" He finished with an insane giggle. "Like Lia said, he has a penchant for theatrics," Garmadon told Lloyd as everyone sat back down. "Yeah, more like the guy's a grade A nutcase," Lloyd murmured in reply, earning an amused smirk from his father. "Never before have so many Elemental fighters been under one roof. I see Master of Fire, Earth, Shadow, Speed. Oh, even the Prophesied Green and Silver saviours. And a former pupil has returned," Chen added, looking coldly at Garmadon before regaining his smile as he pointed to the gong, "This symbol is for the Anacondrai, fiercest Serpentine warrior to ever roam this land. It's creed-" "Only one can remain," Ophelia finished flatly, causing Chen to blink, surprised, before giggling, sending her a gleeful smile. "Exactly right! Only one can remain," Chen agreed creepily as the gong opened, revealing the brackets.