PROLOGUE / HALLOWEEN 2005.

ONE YEAR AGO

I walked through the crowded room of the house, the air smelling like cigarettes and cheap booze

I walked through the crowded room of the house, the air smelling like cigarettes and cheap booze. I stood on my tippy toes in my heels, looking for the tallest person in the room — in hopes of finding Felix.

It was tradition that Felix and I always matched costumes on Halloween, so this year we were being Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake at the 2001 American Music Awards.

I tried to look for someone in all denim, but I couldn't see much over all the people huddled together in crowds. I let out a frustrated groan, "Fuck."

I feel someone tug on my arm, I turn around seeing Felix dressed to the nines as Justin Timberlake, full denim ensemble, hat and sunglasses included. "Mar, there you are, been looking for you everywhere."

I smile, my anxiety slowly slipping away now that Felix was with me. Truth is, I loved to drink, but I hated partying because I hated crowds of people, especially people I didn't know.

"You look great. I tell you all the time that you look like Britney. I knew this was a great costume idea." He says, taking a sip of his drink, handing me his cup afterwards.

Felix was cautious when it came to parties, he made drinks and I usually drank out of his cup so I didn't get roofied. He was sweet like that. He was always looking out for me.

I take the cup, bringing it up to my lips, my nose crinkling up when I smell the liquid. "What is this? It smells like shit."

Felix laughs, "It's gin and grapefruit juice. I forgot you hate grapefruit, that's why you think it smells like shit. Let me go get you something you can drink. Stay here, I'll be right back."

I nod and I hold my hand protectively over his cup—so nobody slips anything into it. I bop my head along to the music.

I wait the duration of a song before Felix returns with my drink, he hands it to me and I hand his drink back to him. "It's rum and root beer because I know you don't like coke."

I smile at him and my heart flutters at how he remembers all the little details about me. Felix knew everything about me and no matter how much time passes by, he never forgets, he's always so attentive, he's always been like that. That's what I love most about him.

I take a sip of the drink, the alcohol warming the back of my throat as I swallow. "You look like a douchebag wearing sunglasses indoors, by the way." I teased him, knowing it was apart of the outfit, but I liked to tease him whenever I could.

Felix smirks, pulling the sunglasses down to his nose so I could see his eyes, his beautiful brown droopy eyes looked into mine. "I might look like a wanker, but we're the best looking duo here."