Night One

I can't believe that woman! She never showed much interest in me but she and her oh-so-precious daughter got everything leaving me out of it. Chisana left the building. The words from the lawyer lingering in her head.

"Since the house and the money are mine now, I want you gone." The woman turned around next to her car. "I will only take you back so you can pack your bags and leave."

"Where am I supposed to go?" Chisana's jaw dropped and her eyes widened. But I was born and raised in that house. Why are you making me leave?

"I don't care. But your father had some distant relatives. This is their address." The woman gave the mentioned address on a piece of paper to the girl. "I want you gone within an hour. Is that understood?"

It might be better than living on the street. "Yes," was all Chisana said and got inside the car. She couldn't grasp it at all. Leaving the place I call home? She didn't explain anything. Only that she wants me gone. But why? Am I not good enough anymore? Am I not of use anymore? Questions filled her head, but she knew she would never get any answers.

***

The car ride was silent, and Chisana was back home in her room, packing her stuff.

"Remember you have an hour to pack!"

Yes, I heard you the first time. She kept quiet and emptied her wardrobe into two suitcases. I wonder if she calls a cab or not. She worked faster and packed her shoulder bag as last. One by one, she took the suitcases downstairs. She was just downstairs with the second suitcase when the woman came back.

"Get out, I've given you an address. I even felt generous enough to call a cab for you." The woman opened the door for the girl. "And look at me when I talk to you!" She lifted the girl's head. "I called for a cab for you, so show me some gratitude."

What do I need to say? You want me out of the house where I've been born and raised. You didn't waste any time to talk my father into giving you everything in his will. I was left out, and I was his daughter while you were my stepmother. Chisana felt the firm grip on her chin. "Thank you." She had no choice but to say the words even when it didn't felt sincere. The woman wouldn't let go of her, and she knew it.

"Was that so hard?" The woman opened the door. "Now, get lost. I don't want you in my house!"

Not knowing where she would end up, Chisana went to the bathroom one more time and left the house.

"Don't ever bother coming back. In about two hours, I have someone over to change the locks." The woman slammed the door in her face.

Hearing the door slam shut, ringed in Chisana's ears and her heart broke. I'm no longer welcome in the house I used to call home. Defeated she looked at the closed door and tears formed in her eyes. How did it come to this? How did you manipulate my father into disowning me? I was expecting to get something but not the house or anything big. She heard someone honking behind her. Turning around, she saw a cab and realized she had something in her hand. Money? When did she give me money? No doubt the money is for the cab. Must be when she grabbed my chin. With her heart in her shoes, she loaded her suitcases into the trunk of the cab and got into the backseat. A sad feeling nestled in her heart as the cab drives away after she had given him the address. Along with a shiver went down her spine. What kind of relatives am I going to? I never heard of them before, so why now? How is my father related to them? How am I related to them?

***

After getting her two suitcases from the trunk, Chisana noticed the huge brick mansion as the cab left. A fountain with a gargoyle on the driveway drew her attention. She opened the gate to get inside. This is where my family relatives live? Just how am I connected to them? Maybe I can get some answers. She pulled her suitcases with her to the front door. What time is it even? She checked her watch. Over seven? Did I skip on lunch and dinner? She knocked with the door ring. The sound echoed through the mansion, and she waited for a reply. She didn't hear anything and reached for the door when it opened soundlessly. Do I go inside? She hesitated but went inside. I wonder if she lied to get rid of me. Do they know my father? They don't even know I would come over. I can ask them if they know my father. She walked further inside, her footsteps silenced by the red carpet under her feet. Her eyes catched the big chandelier in the middle of the room. Looking around in the hall, she found someone on a couch by the window. What if they don't know my father, and I just entered a stranger's house? She shook her head in an attempt to clear her mind. She went closer and noticed the clothes are that of a school uniform. Does he live here alone? Did he open the door for me? Strange that he opens the door but now pretends not to hear me. "I'm sorry for coming in but did you open the door?" She waited for a reply but it stayed quiet for minutes. "Excuse me, sir?"