The fail

Who doesn't dread you??
Who doesn't hate you??
Failure, who doesn't reject you?!
You overcome even the strongest
You win over even the strong willed
You make mockery
You bring to nothing
You win even before a fight at times
Especially those who don't bother to try for fear of you
I didn't want to lose.
I fought you buy seems like you finally won

Anna's POV

I made it to the river. I found him there at the river bank. He was with a boat with some people probably those who will drive us. I called him from a distance. He looked up and ran towards me. I ran up to him and crashed into his arms. I missed him. "Anna, you made it; you really did" he said with tearful smiles. "I couldn't go through with the wedding, I can't stand to lose you forever; I rather lose my family and world than lose my happiness" I said. We held each other for a while, kissing and comforting each other.

"Let's go!" One of the men of the boat yelled. "Let's go darling" John said and held my hand as we made our way to the boat. As I was about entering the boat with John's support. We both heard a loud shout.

"Let go of my wife you fool." We looked back to see Lucius and my family making their way over to us. I was confused and terrified. "You think I wouldn't find you, you left your little love letter on the vanity; you want to leave me huh" Lucius said coldly. How could I be so stupid, I forgot to take it along I made a huge mistake. I didn't know what to do but I knew I wouldn't go down without a fight. I got out of the boat and made my way to them with John holding my hand.

"Let go of her, you bozo" Lucius shouted and moved towards John and pushed him away. "Lucius respect him" I shouted at the top of my voice. "Respect him because he's your lover; am disappointed and disgusted by your act, Anna" Lucius said. "I love him not you; pls leave me alone" I answered. "You love this poor disgusting thing" Lucius mocked John. John tried to move and talk to defend himself but I squeezed his hands. "I do and he doesn't matter how much he earns, I'll choose him every time" I replied him.

"Disgusting" My mother shouted and moved closer to slap me. "I'm sorry mom" I said in tears. "I'm sorry that am disappointing you, I just can't subject myself to unhappiness" I replied. "You stupid child how will you know what will make you happy; I know what's best for you and you decide to throw it away for a man you just met" She spurted out in disdain.

"I choose John; I apologize to you all if you feel affected by my decision" I said finally and held John's hands. "Let's go" I said to John as we turned towards the boat. Suddenly I heard a gun shot.

"If you move one more inch, I'll shoot" Lucius shouted shooting into the air. I looked back in shock and fear. "I'm not afraid of you" John boasted. "Anna , seems your lover doesn't value his life" Lucius said with a cold sense of humour. John moved towards him. "John, what are you doing??" I asked. "I'll fight for our love even if it means to death" he replied moving towards Lucius. He made his way to Lucius standing in front of him. John tried to kick off or retrieve the gun from Lucius but it led to a struggle of which my mum helped Lucius and he held John at his neck pointing a gun at his head.

"Anna, you love him don't you" Lucius said with a hysterical laughter. "Please leave him alone" I pleaded. "I will do him no harm if you agree to come back home and marry me; I give you 3 seconds to decide" Lucius said. I stood there confused. I had lost, I wouldn't let him die. I made a mistake by leaving the letter in the vanity, maybe if I hadn't we would have been on the boat about to start a new happy life. I couldn't let John be killed for my mistake. I thought I had won. I thought love had won but I was wrong. "One" Lucius said. I still stood there with tears in my eyes. I failed, we failed. "Two" Lucius continued. "Why did this happen??" I questioned the universe. "Three" Lucius shouted. He placed his hands on the trigger as John tried to struggle. "I'll follow you, just leave him" I spurted out.

Lucius smiled and told me to get behind him. John looked at me with sadness and confusion. I had to do this. I couldn't let him die. Right there and then, I accepted that we weren't meant to be. I followed my mom and looked at John for the last time. Soon Lucius left John and followed us with the gun still pointing at John.

*****
Writer's note

I hope you are enjoying this story. Please feel free to comment, vote and give me a follow 🙏.

Xoxo Paradise