Chapter 14

Drayton

The sun was finally setting as that meant Drayton was finally off watch. He and some of the other privates were required to sit out and watch for "the enemy" for twelve hours a day. For the past few weeks he has seen nothing. Who's really the enemy?

Plus, Sergeant has been getting on his ass lately. He's been picking up on the slack of others, while they just get a pat on the back. While doing this, Sergeant just sits back and watches him with a smirk on his face. He makes Drayton do private workouts, having him do like two-hundred push-ups a day and running suicides. When did this become a basketball team?

"So... you saying you eat booty?" Drayton asked as all the guys got settled in their "dining hall". It wasn't much but a tent with two tables and some chairs. They've been on, as Sergeant would call it, "weight watch". He said that most of the guys were starting to get a little hefty, but their bones showed different.

"Man, if you got a big booty broad and you lickin' that puddy right. It's only right for you to go down a little further, you feel me?" Mark said. Everybody looked at this dude like he was hella stupid.

"Josh, bring that ass here, boy. I know you ain't lookin' stupid when you out here with shit mouth!" Josh's eyes grew so big they seemed to be popping out of his head.

"That was one fuckin' time! I went down on here and didn't know she had just came out of the restroom. Fuck you Mark."

"Both of y'all are nasty as fuck. I'm marking y'all toothbrushes." Dedrick stated as he dapped me up.

"Wassup, boy." He said taking his gear off.

"Nothing, man. I'm just ready to get out of here."

"They still not letting you go home? Almost everyone else is leaving. I just got the verbal confirmation today."

"I don't know, man. I'm starting to think that Sergeant just doesn't like my ass." Drayton said rubbing his hands together.

"I could get with that, but you think the man is that evil to keep you from your family. Don't you still have a shorty back home?"

"Nah, it's just my sister and my nephews, man."

"Let me know if she fine, pimp."

"I'll be sure to let your wife know." They laughed as they dapped up again.

"Davis! Mail!" He heard George call out as he handed him several letters from his mother, sister, and his ex from back in the gap.

"Where all this coming from, George? This shit goes all the way back to March." Drayton barked.

"Look, you didn't hear this from me, but Sergeant has been telling us to hold your mail." The older white man said before he strolled off.

"He probably the reason why everyone else is leaving but me." Drayton thought to himself as he read over the letters. He missed the two most important women in his life. He felt the Sergeant was nothing but a sick bastard. Who keeps a man's letters from him knowing that his family is all the way on the other side of the country?

Dear Dray,

You're probably wondering why I'm sending you this letter. I'm probably the last person on Earth that you want to hear from.

"You damn right." Drayton thought to himself.

I know that I hurt you because of everything I did with Blue. It's been some years now. I know this is the wrong time, but I have something to tell you.

We have a beautiful four year old daughter named Ella.

Anger stirred in Drayton's heart. It made him boil twice over while trying to put the questions filling his head to rest.