Chapter 7 || Episode 3 Part 3

I clean up Jasper's wound as everyone in camp clutters into the 3 stories of the dropship, coughing up a storm and looking terrified. I look at Monty confused, but his face doesn't give off any sort of answer. 

"What's going on?" Monty asks a girl next to him.

"Air got thick and everyone's skin started burning." The girl answered, coughing. I get up from my spot next to Jasper as I look outside the small window of the dropship. Thick, orangey, yellowish fog flooded the outside. You could barely even see the trees right next to the dropship, it was so heavy. 

"What is it?" Azalea worried. 

"Sounds like the radiation found a new way to get around," I tell her making my way back to my spot with Jasper. 

"Karsten, my brother-" Octavia stops herself as she tries to look outside the window to see.

"Don't worry. I'm sure he'll be fine." I tell her to soothe her worries. "We'll all be fine," I reassure the rest of the group. I wasn't sure if that was true, but it was the best I got. 

                                                                                              ~

What felt like hours passed by. Jasper had regained consciousness a while ago and continued his moans of pain. Everyone in the dropship wasn't appreciative of this. I continued to try to take care of him and his wounds as Octavia stayed right there with me. Monty had gone downstairs to grab some more bandages for me. All of a sudden I heard muttering downstairs as Monty quickly shut the latch and turned to me and Octavia. "Murphy's gonna kill Jasper!" He panted. Octavia and I ran from our spots next to Jasper to help keep the latch down as Azalea and Miles sprung to help us. Murphy tried banging his body against the latch making us fall off of it. Miles was quick enough to stop him from fully opening it, but the latch wasn't closed. My foot just so happened to be in clear view of Murphy's face so I kicked him as hard as I could making him give up on the latch for a moment to let us get it closed. Azalea jumps beside Miles helping keep the latch down. 

"The locks on the other side." Monty blurted out as realization kicked in. I scrambled to my feet to help keep the latch closed. Octavia lets off the latch as I go on it and runs to the other side of the room as she tells us to not let him in. 

"I'm not gonna kill him, ok? Let me in!" Murphy grunted putting all of his force on the latch, trying to get it open again. 

"Then why are you so desperate to get up here?" I yell back at him. I looked at Octavia who was struggling to grab a pipe from the wall. I let off my position of the latch to go help her. I run over beside her as I try to help her pull the pipe off the wall. Murphy still yelled for us to let him in as Monty was practically sitting on the latch.

"No rush!" Monty yelled at us just as we pulled the pipe off the wall. 

"Got it!" Octavia boomed as she made her way to the latch door with me behind her. Monty got up from his spot on the latch as Octavia slid the pipe between the ladder and the latch handle, locking it to anyone else on the other side. I fall on my back as I let out a big exhale as everyone else does the same thing. 

                                                                                              ~

I was sitting with my back to the dropship wall talking with Azalea when I saw a kid walk up to the window that looked out into the forest. 

"Hey, I think the fog is clearing!" They notified everyone as they cheered. It didn't take long before I heard the dropship door open and people removed the pipe from the latch. I quickly walked close to the open latch to see if Murphy was waiting, but he was nowhere to be found. I would call it safe, but we couldn't be sure.