Chapter 28: The Deal

A day had passed and Nighthawk was preparing to go after his friend. It would be one of the most dangerous missions in the history of the war. He was currently in the process of packing a large bag with the tools and equipment he would need. He packed and wore his regular unarmored cloaks to save on weight and to be more stealthy. There was a knock on his door, so he went to go check it with a sigh.

"What?" He opened it up and looked down at the dragon. It was Sulu.

"Nighthawk, please let me go with you.." Sulu begged. "I can help, I want to. He's my brother!" The Nightwing sighed and shook his head.

"Listen.. as much as I understand you want to be there, you need to understand that it's better if I go alone." He said quielty as he looked down at her. "Alright? I'll get him back, you can count on it."

"But-"

"No. It's not safe. Alright?" Nighthawk said sternly. "You're a very capable soldier, but this will be easier and safer if I go alone."

"Alright.. just get him home. I can't lose him."

"Of course.." Nighthawk put a talon on hers, thinking to himself. He felt her squeeze it, and he didn't mind. Sighing, he pulled her into a slight hug. It was no surprise to him that she hugged back. After a few seconds he pulled away and started to walk outside. He saw Tempest, as well as the king and queen.

"Nighthawk, do be careful on your journey." Queen Coral said politely.

"Is there anything else you need before you depart?" The king asked. "I know it's a dangerous and risky assignment."

"The only thing I need is to come home safely with Lobster." Nighthawk said in a determined tone. He saw Tempest walk over and lower her head. "Hm?"

"I really appreciate you doing this. I just want you to know I never doubted you, and I don't blame you for his capture. If anyone can save his life, it's you." Tempest said soflty. "Now be safe!"

"I'll be fine Tempest. See you all soon." Nighthawk spread his wings and began to fly towards the mainland. He knew where the mudwing palace was based off of several maps, which would make the whole ordeal easier. As he flapped into the air he watched the seawings wave to him. He sighed and kept flying. It was going to be a long way there, and a long way back. The weight of his equipment didn't help too much either, but it was better than not having anything. He needed his weapons, especially for a job of such a high magnitude.

~ Three Long Days later ~

By now he had reached the main land of Pyrrhia. It was the evening and he was alone, standing on a small mountain overlooking the local region. As the sun began to set, he made his way down the hill to find a place to sleep for the night. Thankfully there was a decently sized cave where he could rest and plan. He began to set up his camp for the night. A fire would be a bad idea, he thought. At least the cloak he wore was warm enough. He led down to get some rest.

"Cozy?" A voice called from the entrance of the cave. Nighthawk jumped up and reached for his crossbow. He growled and aimed it towards the entrance, using his night vision to see. "Woah- calm down there."

"No. Who are you?" He hissed a bit, got nothing and fixed his stance. "Answer, or I will shoot."

"Alright." The voice said. "I am a Nightwing."

"Right. On the ground, now." He hissed and glared at the Nightwing, who did as he asked. The two kept their distance. "Who are you?"

"I can't tell you that." The dragon said with a huff. Nighthawk saw him reach down for something. It was very fast and swift. A whistle rang through the air as something flew towards him. He moved, but it grazed his arm while slicing his cloak, making him hiss. Now pulling the trigger on his crossbow, a bolt fired towards the dragon's talon. Once it impacted, the bolt went through the assasin's palm and dug itself into the dirt on the cave floor. The assasin let out a pained yelp as he was stuck to the ground.

"Hmph. Who are you?" Nighthawk growled and redrew his crossbow. "Answer or I will kill you." He hissed, pointing it towards his attacked.

"Alright alright! Moons, wow. Nobody has ever done that- my name is Deathbringer."

"Deathbringer? That's a silly name."

"Not if you're an assasin."

"You're clearly not a very talented one."

"You would be surprised." Deathbringer said in a half laugh.

"Whatever. You were obviously sent to kill me."

"My leaders want you dead because of what you did to Silence." Deathbringer sat up and pulled his talon out of the dirt. "And..that didn't work, you've really made them angry."

"I didn't kill her. It was Blister, she was about to tell me about my tribe."

"Your tribe, haha." He said with a grin. "Half of them don't know you exist, and the ones that do are upset with you. Who are your parents? Nobody lost an egg in the last.. what how old are you?"

"Hmph. I wasn't hatched there. Give me a reason not to put you in the dirt." Nighthawk hissed. "And it better be a damned good one."

"I can help you."

"No you can't. I don't need help." He growled. "And I certainly wouldn't ask someone who just tried to kill me."

"That's wise, and fair." Deathbringer said with a shrug. He looked around the cave, Nighthawk assumed for something to close his wound. "I know why you're here."

"No you-"

"Your friend. You want to rescue him."

"How could you possibly know that."

"I have my ways. How about this.. we cut a deal." Deathbringer started, but Nighthawk shook his head.

"Absolutely not. You just tried to kill me."

"Just hear me out.." He started. "I'll help you get your friend, if you spare me. I'll convince my leaders you got away and bested me. They will believe it, might send someone else but I will leave you be."

"So I'm not guaranteed safety from your shadowy overlords." Nighthawk scoffed, crossing his arms. "Why don't you tell them that anyone they send after me will be gruesomely unsuccessful? That includes you, by the way."

"I figured it would, I'll talk to them. Try to convince them you're too dangerous and not worth taking out. Do we have a deal?" Nighthawk sat there, pondering it. He sighed and reached out his talon to Deathbringer's uninjured talon.

"Fine. You help me, I spare you, you get them off my back. Deal." He sighed and shook his talon. This was either going to be a mistake, or it could prove to be useful. Only one way to find out.