Prologue

Jack Hampton leaned on the cold, hard counter for support. His head rested in his hands in an attempt to calm his whirring thoughts. He didn't think this day would come for another 30 or 40 years. His parents were only 41. And now they were gone. But they were only part of his worries. His poor sister was only 7 and was already scarred for life. She's just seen her parents perish right in front of her, her car seat the only thing having

kept her from joining them. So here Jack was, 23, and about to take on the role of mother, father, and big brother to fragile little Riley. He looked up and surveyed the quiet kitchen. This was the room where his mom had once made all sorts of goods out of the big, handwritten cookbook on top of the fridge. It was here where his parents had sat his 16 year old self down and explained that after having him at only 18, they didn't expect to have any more kids but, well, happy accidents happen. So many memories had made the kitchen feel eternally warm, even in the dead of winter. But now the room emanated an aura of cold emptiness, as if it knew James and Margaret Hampton would never return. Riley sat on the couch just about 10 steps away, sobbing quietly. Jack walked over and sat down next to her. She didn't look up or even acknowledge his presence whatsoever. He wrapped his arms around her and held her close. Jacks mind wandered off to the warm summer day he'd spent in a cold hospital waiting room nearly 8 years ago. He was determined to not be mean to his baby sister like all his friends were to theirs. He'd keep her safe and happy. And at that moment, sitting on the sofa in his parents' house, Jack couldn't help but think he'd failed.