Chapter 11: Shadows and Promises

Luna

From the window, the sight of Blade was a sharp contrast against the soft glow of our home. He was a dark figure shrouded in the twilight that our porch lights couldn't touch. He stood outside our home, clearly marked as an outsider. I peeled my eyes away from the window and sighed heavily.

Within the walls of our home, the room thrummed with a tension born from fear and loss. My parents, Celeste and Lazarus, their faces maps of worry and sorrow, discussed the unpredictability of the future, especially a future devoid of grandmother Solstice. "Blade proposes we seek a witch, Davina, for guidance," I informed my family, my voice barely hiding the quiver of uncertainty.

Being in this position, engaged in this conversation? I didn't feel like myself. I didn't believe I was suited for this leadership position that was thrust upon me. Every part of me wanted to retreat and avoid our issues, but against my inner protests, I remained there, feigning a strength I didn't genuinely possess.

"A witch," Celeste echoed, her skepticism thinly veiling the fear of losing yet another family member. "Luna, witches are fickle, their loyalties uncertain."

I exhaled heavily, knowing that this was true.

"What about Maria? She's a witch and she's been loyal to our family for years. Not all witches are untrustworthy." I stated, defending the plan.

Lazarus dismissed my words with a shake of his head. His resolute stance appeared to hold back a sea of grief.

"Maria is unique, Luna. Comparing her to the others is unjust. However, Davina remains an enigma to us. This expedition... it could be fraught with danger, and I'm uncertain if I'm prepared for that mentally."

I clenched my fists, sensing the very core of my family unraveling. All that I held dear was disintegrating in front of me, and I could empathize with my father's reluctance to allow me to embark on this journey.

Aurora, no longer the Night Huntress she had been raised to be; my mother's affair casting a shadow over our once unbreakable family bond; my unanticipated rise as the Night Huntress; and now, the blood of my grandmother staining the ground — our world was unraveling.

"We need answers," I insisted, my words infused with a blend of desperation and determination. "If Davina can offer them, then I have to take the risk. I can't allow our family to crumble, especially when it seems that every other supernatural believes I hold the key. Plus, more of our people have fallen ill in just the past day, just like other supernatural's, we're facing something unprecedented here."

Marcus's voice cut through the heavy atmosphere in the room, unwavering and confident. "Luna won't be venturing alone. I'll be by her side to ensure her safety. I'm confident Aurora would be willing to join us as well," he declared, exchanging a meaningful look with my sister, who responded with a resolute nod, her determination matching my own.

My parents exchanged wary glances, their concern palpable in the room. My mother was the first to speak, her voice wavering with a mix of apprehension and resignation. "I understand that you're determined to find answers, Luna, and Marcus, you've always been protective over Luna. But this journey, it's dangerous, and we can't ignore the risks."

My father nodded in agreement, his usually stoic demeanor showing signs of vulnerability. "Your safety is our top priority. We can't help but worry, especially given the recent events in our world."

I could see the struggle in their eyes, torn between their parental instincts and the realization that this quest might be the only way to safeguard our family. After a tense silence, my mother finally relented, her voice softer now, filled with reluctant acceptance. "If you promise to stay together and look out for each other, we won't stand in your way."