Chapter 7: Unveiled Alliances

Luna

The journey back to my compound felt longer than it ever had before. I used a few Uber rides and took a long ass walk. With each step closer to home, the fever that had begun as a mere whisper of heat beneath my skin grew into an inferno, ravaging my body with its relentless fury. It was as if the distance from Fang amplified the affliction, his presence in my mind growing stronger, more taunting with each mile I put between us.

"You cannot escape what is destined, Luna," Fang's voice echoed in my skull, a haunting reminder of the bond he had forced upon me. "The further you move away from me, the more you'll realize you belong with me."

I pushed through the gates of my compound, a place that once signified safety now feeling like a prison of my own making. My arrival was unannounced, unexpected. My parents, Celeste and Lazarus, stood in the doorway, their expressions shifting rapidly from shock to concern as they took in my disheveled and feverish state.

"Luna!" my mother cried out, rushing towards me with arms outstretched. Her embrace was a haven, but even in her arms, the fever raged on, unyielding.

"What happened to you?" my father asked, his voice laced with worry as he examined me, his experienced eyes quickly finding the marks Fang had left.

The realization dawned on them both simultaneously. "These are the marks of a vampire mating ritual," my father murmured, his voice a mix of disbelief and dread. "How could this have happened?"

As they led me inside, grandmother Solstice emerged from the shadows, her age-old wisdom etched in the lines of her face. She was quickly briefed on the situation as I laid there feeling helpless. "I have something that can help," she declared, her voice steady, betraying no sign of the fear we all felt. "It will ease the fever and hide you from his reach, but only for twenty-four hours."

Grandmother Solstice, with her long, silver hair cascading over her shoulders, moved towards the ancient wooden table that had been the center of many of our family's mystical endeavors. Her hands, lined with the wisdom of years, reached for an array of jars and pouches, each containing herbs and ingredients known only to those deeply versed in ancient lore.

With deliberate and practiced movements, she began to mix the herbs. Her fingers danced over the mortar and pestle, grinding the mixture with a rhythm that seemed almost ritualistic. The air filled with the scents of juniper and sage, intermingling with more exotic aromas that I couldn't quite place. These were the smells of ancient magic, of remedies passed down through generations. As a part of her training to become the Night Huntress, these were things that Aurora was trained in already while for me, it was all still foreign. This was never supposed to be my life and yet, here I was.

My grandmother whispered incantations under her breath, words so old they felt like a distant echo from the past. The concoction in the mortar began to emit a faint, otherworldly glow, its color changing from a deep emerald to a vibrant azure.

As she handed me the cup, the liquid inside pulsed with a life of its own. "Drink, my child," she urged, her eyes locking with mine, conveying a sense of urgency and hope.

I brought the cup to my lips, the smell of the potion earthy and potent. As the liquid touched my tongue, it was both bitter and sweet, a paradox of flavors that mirrored the complexity of our situation. I swallowed it, feeling its warmth spreading through my body.

Almost instantly, the fever that had been ravaging me began to subside, its fiery grip loosening. The relief was like a gentle rain after a scorching drought, soothing and refreshing. However, the respite was short-lived.