Chapter 9: Dawn of Tensions

Luna

The moon was high in the sky, casting a soft glow through the window as I laid in bed, trying to find solace in the quiet of the night

The moon was high in the sky, casting a soft glow through the window as I laid in bed, trying to find solace in the quiet of the night. My thoughts were restless, dancing like shadows against the walls of my mind. My sleep was tumultuous, filled with dreams that churned with emotions, leaving me restless throughout the night. Since forming the partial bond with Blade, my mind was a whirlpool of conflicting feelings. I was drawn to him, yet it was a pull that I resented, a connection forged from necessity, not desire. It was in this state of half-sleep that I heard the door creak open.

"Luna, can we talk?" The voice was a soft whisper, barely disturbing the night's stillness. It was my sister Aurora.

I propped myself up on my elbows, blinking away the remnants of sleep. "Of course, come in," I murmured, my voice heavy with fatigue.

Aurora stepped into the moonlight, her soft features etched with worry. She sat on the edge of the bed, her presence a silent comfort in the dim room.

She took a deep, shaky breath. "So as everyone knows, I'm not a Deveraux."

Her words hung in the air, heavy with unspoken implications. I reached out in the darkness, finding her hand. "I know, Aurora...How are you feeling?"

"It's... confusing," she admitted, her voice laced with vulnerability. "I feel lost, Luna. Like a part of my identity was just a lie."

I held her hand tighter, offering what strength I could. "You're still you, Aurora. Your my sister. Your blood doesn't define you."

Tears glistened in her eyes, reflecting the moonlight. "But my dream has always been to be the Night Huntress... It's all I've ever wanted. To protect our kind, to lead. This changes everything..."

I drew Aurora into a gentle embrace, mindful of the late hour and the quiet around us. "Your dream doesn't have to change. You've been training for this all your life. You are more than capable of being a leader, and this... this doesn't change your heart or your courage."

My older sister nestled against me, looking for comfort from me as her body trembled slightly. Me, comforting her, was so unusual but I did what came natural.

I continued. "You're still you, Aurora. And I understand how you feel. My life has also taken a turn that I never expected either. This... I never wanted all of this either." I sighed.

Aurora's brown eyes, glistening with unshed tears, met mine in the moonlight.

"What about dad? How has he been handling all of this?" I asked, softly.

She exhaled heavily, the moon casting long shadows across the room. "He's been preoccupied, especially after you went missing. I don't think he had much time to process the situation."

"I see," I whispered, my voice barely audible. "I just feel like everything we've ever known is shifting beneath our feet. And...it scares me..."

I leaned in and held my sister even closer, feeling the strength of our bond in the stillness of the night. "Aurora? Remember that, despite all of this, one thing remains constant - our commitment to our tribe, to our people, to each other. And this... it doesn't make you any less valuable."