eighteen

the group of teens made it to the run down motel down the road in no time. amelia was dreading it already. she really just wanted to go home and forget this whole week even happened. maybe she'd even text marianna.

"don't know what to say. it's just the one room. if you don't want, i have a trucker on hold that does." the lady behind the desk informed the group after they'd complained about having to all share a room. this definitely was not ideal.

"no, no, no. uh, we will take it." belly waved off with a smile. the woman nodded as conrad gave her his card to pay for the room.

"thank you." the conklin went to reach for the keys at the same time as conrad, their hands accidentally touching. the boy takes the key and hands it to belly to grab.

"you guys go ahead, i'll catch up." conrad turns back around to sign the receipt.

"what are you gonna do?" amelia asked from behind him. the last thing she wanted to do was be stuck in a room with those two alone. she wasn't sure what she'd do.

"just gonna make some calls. didn't get a chance to say goodbye to anybody, so..." the older brother explained shortly, only sparing amelia a glance.

"do you want me to stay?" the curly haired girl tilted her head. she was mentally pleading with him to say yes, she really did not want to be alone.

"no, it's okay. it won't take long." conrad dismissed, his back facing the other three. belly nodded, muttering a 'okay', before taking off through the door.

jeremiah was the second out the door, holding it for amelia to walk out after him.

the room was exactly what amelia thought i'd be. "one bed. great." she mumbled, not going unheard by the two beside her. "this day just keeps getting better and better."

jeremiah walked over to the queen sized bed and placed his duffel bag on it, sifting through to find God knows what.

amelia sat down on the dusty chair beside the door with not a word. jeremiah knew she was close to snapping, he could tell by the constant shake of her leg and the way her jaw would clench every so often, like she was contemplating what to say.

"you're being really quiet." belly spoke up softly, breaking the much needed silence. her question was obviously directed to jeremiah since she stepped closer to stand beside him.

"there's a lot to think about." was jeremiah's curt response.

"i'm sorry for kissing you-"

"belly, can we not talk about this right now?" the fisher teen cut her off rather rudely. it was bad enough she even kissed him in the first place, but now she was bringing it up in front of amelia? it was almost as if the girl had a death wish.

"right. sorry." there's an awkward pause of silence before she mutters a quick, "i'm gonna go take a shower." and she's gone in a matter of seconds.

then it just left amelia and jeremiah.

she could sense he was dying to talk to her because of his not to subtle glances every few seconds. however, before he got the chance, she was placing her phone on the table and swinging open the door.

jeremiah understood why she couldn't stand being in the same room as him, but walking out into the rain was a bit much.

"mel," he tried to call out but to no avail because she was already out the door. with a deep sigh, he followed her out the door into the downpour outside.

she had her arms wrapped tightly around her body while rain fell rapidly on her. amelia really had no clue what she was doing or even why she was doing it, but she just hoped that if she kept walking far enough away that jeremiah would eventually give up and leave her alone.