eight

amelia was shaken awake by her blonde best friend. "ami, ami, wake up." bella whispered, shaking the girl violently. "amelia, come on. wake your ass up."

amelia stirred, groaning a bit. "go away." she turned her back to bella.

"ami, there's a rude blonde lady and a bald girl in the kitchen." the blonde rolled amelia back around. "and i'm hungry."

amelia huffed and sat up in the bed. "that's their aunt julia and her daughter skye. julia's a bitch though." she got up from the bed and threw her curly hair up into a messy bun. "i'm hungry, too." the brunette yawned, exiting the room with bella following behind her.

the two girls descended the stairs and rounded the corner into the kitchen.

"you didn't tell me she was here, too." amelia heard conrad say as he stared at skye.

"it's 'they'. not 'she'." skye corrected. "gosh, i guess it's been like a decade since i saw you guys. um, how are you doing since your mom?" they added.

"it's been rough."

"rougher now that our aunt's stealing our house." conrad seethed.

julia turned around from the sink, "i'm not stealing anything, conrad. like it or not, i get to choose what happens to this house and i choose to put it on the market."

"not." amelia coughed, making her and bella's presence known. jeremiah turned to look at amelia, smiling at her then looking forward again.

julia turned her head to the two girls for a split second before facing the boys again. "you boys should get on the road. beat the traffic back to boston."

conrad shook his head, "there's no chance. we're staying for the open house."

julia dismissed with the wave of her hands, "uh, no, no, no. i can't have a bunch of teenagers chasing everybody away. call your father because this isn't an aunt julia problem."

"you're right, she is a bitch." bella leaned into amelia to whisper.

"except it is," conrad stepped forward. "because you are the problem." amelia and bella both raised their eyebrows in shock at the boys boldness.

"and that's how you clear a bitch." amelia whispered to her best friend, who snorted in response.

"i don't have time for this." the woman walked out of the kitchen, dismissing herself from the argument.

belly sighed once she was gone, "conrad, she's still your family." she said softly.

"then why is she doing this to us?"

"this is hard for her, too." skye spoke from their spot at the island.

"like hell it is." amelia scoffed, standing closer to the group.

"yeah, cause it seems like she's doing this all pretty fucking easily." conrad spat, walking out of the kitchen.

amelia suddenly spotted source of the wonderful aroma she smelled from all the way upstairs. "ooh, muffins." she cheered, reaching to grab one.

"actually, those are for the open house." skye informed her. amelia tilted her head, bringing the muffin to her mouth and taking a bite while staring skye in the eyes.

skye looked back down at the counter in defeat while jeremiah smirked, and approached the girl. amelia continued eating her muffin as he stood behind her and wrapped both arms around her shoulders.

she adored how he tried to make everything seem as normal as possible. he kissed the top of her head and leaned down to whisper in her ear. "i love it when you wear my clothes." she had completely forgotten she was wearing one of his shirts.