III. Under The Twine Rope

Hailey pulls her lacrosse jacket tighter over her shoulders and looks between her two friends under furrowed brows

     Hailey pulls her lacrosse jacket tighter over her shoulders and looks between her two friends under furrowed brows. Sure, Derek Hale was a weirdo but he was also Jenny's friend so she felt slightly conflicted as Stiles drove his Jeep onto the werewolf's property. Sitting behind the two boys in the backseat, she leaned forward between them, staring out into the darkness at the decrepit house.

     It seemed like she was the only one who was having second thoughts of possibly digging up a body and possibly framing Derek for murder (because if she's being honest, she didn't think he killed the her). Sighing, she wondered why she was friends with the two idiots before her. Scott looks back at her with a frown as Stiles hops from his Jeep to open the hatch at the back.

     "What's wrong?"

     Hailey shrugs. "Nothing. It's just... Derek's Jenny's only friend and I'm gonna feel like shit if it turns out that the body's here."

     "Jenny's gonna make other friends." Scott assured, and though he had yet to meet the infamous 'cousin' he had only heard good (and sad) things about her. "Plus, Derek is a creep."

     "Yeah but Derek's been there for her in ways dad and I can't be. He lost his family too and he understands what it's like to feel that grief." The brunette girl looked down at her hands. "I really don't want to take that from her."

     Scott reached out, touching her shoulder gently. They both knew that he wanted the body to be there, so there was nothing he could really say to make her feel better without it being false to his own feelings. He gave her a sympathetic smile and left the Jeep, waiting for her to follow before the trio trudged towards Derek's house.

     An eerie feeling washed over Hailey as she stared up at charred home. It felt like she intruding on something; and in the back of her head, she swore she could hear screams (and smell smoke).

     "Wait..." Scott slowed, still moving forward but a concerned look on his face. "Something's different."

     "Different how?" Stiles asks with unease, giving Scott a nervous look.

     Hailey was too busy shaking off the weird feeling that had crept up her neck to really listen to them. Her hand rose scratching at the back of her neck, hoping to ease the tension that had settled there. She suddenly felt very watched as she glanced back over her shoulder.

     "Let's just get this over with." Scott sighs, jamming his shovel into the ground, his foot pressed onto the spade-end to push it further into the ground.

     Hailey crosses her arms as she watches the boy's work. "Why am I here if you only brought two shovels?"

     "To keep watch." Stiles shrugs. "Charm Derek with your long eyelashes or something if he comes back. Or for me to push over into him if he comes back."