13 | PREY OR PRAY

Start from the beginning

Investor and Prudence were starting to catch the gist, even though it remained somewhat unclear. "We no fit dey stand here like this," Investor muttered aloud, making sure the officer heard. Officer Njoku didn't respond; he was determined to thoroughly check my entire phone. I felt utterly helpless, unable to retaliate or do anything to stop him.

“Ehis enter make we dey go” Investor directed impatiently, crossing over with Prudence right in front of the officer. I wondered how he expected me to leave without my phone. Confused, I turned to look at him, signaling that I needed to retrieve my phone. "Make we dey go." Investor repeated, thinking I hadn't heard him the first time.

“Ehis no dey go anywhere, he dey follow me go police station.” The officer declared, indicating his intention to arrest me. If Investor hadn't spoken up, perhaps it wouldn't have agitated the police.

Investor became upset, wanting to confront the police, but he brought out his phone. I didn't want him complicating matters, knowing I was the one who would bear the brunt. Initially scared, I feared he might start recording the police violating my rights. I didn't want that to happen because if the police exposed my actions, they might somehow align with them, escalating the situation. Investor was actually dialing someone, leaving me distraught as everyone reacted. The phone rang in Investor's ear, and Prudence looked at me, curious about the reason for my arrest. Another one of the officers emerged from the police vehicle to figure out what was happening.

“...e dey tell me say e wan carry your guy go station” Investor conveyed the information from Maxwell as the call connected. “I no just sabi these people" visibly enraged, he directed his frustration toward Maxwell instead of confronting the police directly. “Abeg talk to your guy.” Investor handed me his phone, and I took it with trembling hands.

"Maxwell. Maxwell," I uttered fearfully, my heart racing.

"Ehis, calm down. What's happening?" Maxwell tried to reassure me, but I couldn't control my emotions, as I never wanted to find myself in this situation. "Ehis, please, what exactly is going on?" Maxwell begged.

"I don't know..." I admitted sheepishly, even though I did know. I wasn't sure why I initially claimed not to know. Maxwell didn't respond, and I could hear him struggling to understand. "I thought you told me you logged out of Mr. Utomi's account?"

"I did," Maxwell interjected without hesitation. "I did, na?" It became more like a question, as if he wasn't entirely sure. I couldn't understand why, as if he had indeed logged out, I would be in this complication. I felt so angry at him that I couldn't find the words. I was shaking, my back turned away from the police, listening to Investor vent to Prudence.

“You don finish?” Officer NJoku directed at me. I turned back as he sarcastically questioned, clearly growing impatient with us wasting his time. He was determined to move me.

"Ehis, don't worry; I'll meet you at the station. Please- I- just give the phone to Investor," I slowly took the phone away from my ear and handed it to Investor.

Investor took the phone, and 'hmm'd' to the rest of what Maxwell had to say. Meanwhile, the other officer placed her hand on my back, maneuvering me toward the patrol van's prison compartment, as if I were a puppet being controlled. I felt powerless, overwhelmed with shame. Officer Njoku took the driver's seat, instructing the remaining officer to stay behind. I was locked in the cage with the female officer, who had placed me there, seated opposite me. Investor and Prudence quickly got into their car, and as we drove off, they followed suit.

The female officer, identified by the last name Bassey, surprised me. I had assumed she might be more lenient since she was a woman, but her harsh treatment was unbearable. The inappropriate questioning, such as "so you dey collect prick for your yansh?" made the experience dehumanizing. I was close to tears, but I fought to hold back my emotions.