0.2

I was eating Lucky Charms the next morning and playing with the little marshmallows like they were some odd dolls.

"Wow look how far I made it mom!" I said in the highest little kids voice that I could as I lifted the red balloon marshmallow into the air. 

"Welcome kid. You are among the stars now. Your mom must be proud," I then said in a very deep mans voice as I moved the blue moon towards the red balloon.

"Yeah, I bet she is," I said acting as the balloon again.

"Not for long bitches," I yelled as I got a shooting star marshmallow and rammed it into the other shapes.

I then said somethings like "Ow" and "Noooo" before shoving the rest of the marshmallows into my mouth.

Yup I've officially  gone insane.

I looked up at the clock on the microwave and noticed that it was 12:45. Well I had 15 minutes to get to work.

I walked into my closet and just threw on a white shirt with my black leather jacket and a pair of ripped black skinny jeans. Then I was on my way to get bitches, uh, I mean work.

-

As soon as I walked in the door I noticed a rustling in the back of the store. I instantly froze not knowing what to do.

This could not be happening to me.

I slid over to the counter to grab the emergency bat that one of the employees put under the cash register. I was ready to bash this fuckass' head in. I've had plenty of practice on my Power Puff Girls piñata.

I quietly and slowly inched closer to the door that led to the back of the store. My teeth were clenched tightly as I prepared my body to fight and forget the other parts of my body that told me to run.

All of the sudden the door opened and my breath instantly hitched in my throat. I raised the bat ready to swing when a voice stopped me.

"Alex! Woah! Calm down it's just me!" the person yelled with their hands in the air to signal peace.

"Oh my god! Boss I'm s-so sorry! I thought that y-you were like, like a-"

He then cut me off by laughing at how scared I got. He laughs too much; he is just too happy all the time, it's kind of annoying.

"Alex, it's okay. You were just protecting yourself and the store. Just be happy you didn't swing or you would've been outta here," he replied with another small laugh.

I flash a nervous smile then let out the breath I didn't even know I was holding in.

"Copy that," I said under my breath but still loud enough for my boss to hear.

I walked over to the register and stored the splintering old bat under the counter right where it belonged. I hope I never had to touch that thing ever again.

I looked up to see my boss staring at me with worried eyes. "You look a little tense. Did something happen?"

Well let's see, I was abandoned by my own mother, then forced to survive the summer alone, and school starts in 2 weeks.

"Oh, I'm fine."

"Well that's good to hear" he said while showing an obviously fake smile which clearly meant he didn't buy what I had just said.

"Actually, Boss?"

"Yeah, Alex?" He said looking at me with a very serious and concerned face.

"Well school is starting up pretty soon so I can only work from 3 to 7 pm. But I did manage to get an out period so I can start at 3 instead of 4."

"Those hours will work fine for when school starts. Is that all you had to say?" he was obviously just pushing for me to tell him more but I just couldn't. I couldn't tell anyone.

"Well, uh, actually I moved out and it's been kinda hard on me so I was wondering if I could get a raise to help me out?" I tried to mask the nervousness in my voice but I didn't think it worked. I played with the tip of my ponytail as I waited for his response.

I don't know why I was so nervous to ask. Maybe it's because it wasn't true. I didn't move out, my mother did.

He turned his back to me and I knew his answer couldn't be good. He grabbed something out of a cabinet and walked over to me.

"Fill out this form over why you need and deserve a raise. Leave it over there," he said while pointing to a small shiny tray that was against the back wall. "And I will read it over and report back to you next week over what I have decided," he said trying to be all business-y but we both knew that I'll get the raise.

I let out a breath at the good news, "thank you, sir! I really appreciate it!"

He threw me a friendly wave before vanishing into the darkness of the parking lot. I grabbed the rolling chair from the back and sat down. Then I pulled a book out of my bag and began to read "The Great Gatsby," which was my mom's favorite book. She has read the book over and over again and swore it was written by an angel. I thought that maybe I would give it a try, even though reading was never my favorite hobby, how bad could it be?

-

I was then ten pages away from finishing chapter seven when I noticed that it was time to lock up. It was pretty good timing, since I was on the verge of falling asleep. I threw my book into my bag then got up to make sure everything was turned off and in its correct spot. I picked up the keys off the counter and went outside. I tried to lock the door but the cold piece of metal in my hand wouldn't go into the lock.

Believe it or not, this actually happened a lot.

I kept fumbling the keys in my hand, desperate to get the door locked when all of the sudden I heard a voice behind me.

"Need help?"

//Authors Note//

So I know this chapter was a really boring but it shows more about how Alex's life is going to be like. And ooh there's a bit of a cliffhanger ;)  

Oh and if you guys could please vote if you like the story then that would mean a lot!! :)