|| 𝐂𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞 ||

The breakfast table that next morning was silent. It was a swift meal, the four teenage tributes cleaning their plates while Haymitch and Effie (District 12's colorful Advisor) conversed heatedly about schedules and so on.

I hadn't talked to Peeta yet, in fact I refused to make eye contact with him again. I had an irrational fear of those pretty brown eyes. the thought of them alone was so embarrassing that I would rather jump off the roof of the training center. No hesitation.

After everyone finished eating, we were given our training garments, simple black with grey and red stripes. Katniss and Peeta's had the number "12" stitched on the back and sleeves. Mine and Kian's blatantly displayed the word "Avox" placed in the same spots.

And then training began.

•••

I quickly learned I was no good with any of the large weapons. I stuck with Kian, trailing behind him in his shadow as we moved from station to station. I watched him excel at swordplay, spear throwing, etc. But every time I tried to copy his movement the spear would land a wimpy five feet away, and the sword dipped towards the ground as I tried to lift it.

"That was better, but I know you have more in you." Kian said it everytime I slipped up.

He was encouraging, giving pointers and adjusting my grip. Multiple times he stopped and stood right behind me, putting his hand over mine and guiding the spear or sword towards the correct target.

We had become fast friends, thankfully. I pushed away the thought that by next week we would be mortal enemies, each on a killing spree of our own.

The Careers were terrifying already, hitting their targets every single time, staring down weaker tributes, being overall assholes. Cato especially, I was sure he had been glancing at me, ready to tear my throat out on sight.

I was at the camouflage station, painting a green collage of swirls onto my cheek when a crash came from across the room. Glancing over, my hand paused when I realized it was Peeta. He had lost his grip and fallen from the obstacle equipment, and was now crumpled on the mat below.

I looked over to Katniss, fully expecting her to help him, or do something, but she didn't. I could see the conflict in her eyes, but one glance at the bloodthirsty Careers and she continued her own camouflage training, her eyes flickering insistently to Peeta as if willing him to get back up.

The Careers were staring him down now, whispering to each other and sizing him up. I knew what they were thinking. Easy target.

It was like my legs were moving on their own, and before I knew it I had stood up and calmly walked over to him, hating how my footsteps echoed in the silence. I crouched down next to him, and he looked up, embarrassment evident in his face. The low buzz of voices returned to the room as other tributes returned to their tasks. But not the Careers.

I realized he still thought I couldn't talk, he didn't expect anything. That was most likely the reason he jumped when I whispered to him.

"Get up Peeta."

"Wait. How-"

"No. you have to get up, now."

"But how are you-"

"I mean it, everyone's watching."