"Lola will help you with any English homework for the remainder of the agreement."

I whip my head to face Amethyst, has she lost it? Not only am I not one of the top students, I can barely get by with handing in my work let alone doing someone else's. I cough, getting her attention on me before shaking my head manically.

She's quiet for a second before ultimately giving in with an elongated sigh, "Fine," she melancholy breathes out, "We'll both help with the homework."

What about the dog? I'm so close to yelling. Mom will kill me if she finds out that I allowed a dog inside the house let alone what for and that's not considering what my younger brother is going to do to me. I'm going to have to bend over backwards to have Anthony shut the hell up. He's probably going to subject me to doing his laundry for the remainder of Biscuit's stay, and then more after that.

The thought of touching a twelve-year boy's laundry has me shuddering. There is nothing grosser then pre-pubescent boys.

"I don't need help with my homework," Tate cuts in, squaring up his broad shoulders.

"You almost failed the creative piece you wrote last year. Trust me, you need all the help you can get."

He almost failed that? I'm no Einstein, but how do you nearly fail the easiest project by far? It comes more as a shock especially since it's not like Tate is stupid. He's gotten countless awards for his 'exceptional participation in outstanding research,' for biology and chemistry.

I think Principal Rodriquez shed a tear at a science convention last year when Tate won some award. The Bridgers's and the the Schwarz's family had been there, and so I'd been there as well.

"Are you calling me stupid, Amethyst?"

"Oh shut up you know I don't think that. But, don't let your ego get the best of you, just accept the help."

The ex-step siblings stare each other down.

"You've got yourself a deal." He gives in.

Amethyst sequels in delight, Brooke laughs, Johnny Delgado scores another shot and I blankly stare at Tate.

What have I just gotten myself into?

"Where are you going?" Amethyst calls out to Tate who turns his back and descends down the court. "Tate, I'm talking to you!"

The other boy begrudgingly halts his footsteps. "To my bag?" He calls over his shoulder.

Ames rolls her eyes, "Okay go grab that but when you come back you walk out first with Lola, and Lola—"

I turn to face her but my head swings with other way Amethyst's hand slaps across my face.

Tears sting at the back of my eyes at the bitch slap. "Amethyst!" I yell, grabbing onto my sore cheek that's begun to sting. What the hell is wrong with her?

"What the fuck?" Tate calls out.

Amethyst's nose scrunches up, "Sorry," she swiftly apologizes, "But you need to look like you've just cried."

I rub over the sore cheek, and seethe when I realize I'm probably going to feel it go numb. "Huh?" Has she lost the plot? Because I'll strangle her back to reality if she has.

Who just bitch-slaps their best-friend?

"Look, you're going to escort Lola out of here by yourself, okay? You'll take on the role of a concerned friend and over the next week you guys have to be seen together. Tate, you'll act like you've had a crush on Lola forever and this is your chance to slide in." There's a smile on Amethyst's lips, "Then voila."

"Voila?" I repeat with drawn-in brows.

"You think people are going to buy that?"

"What? That you're capable of liking me?" I might not be no Jessica Alba or Frank Ocean but I'm still a catch.

The tall boy rolls his eyes, "Don't make this a 'you' thing Lola, I'm hardly calling you repulsive."

"Repulsive?" I squawk. He better not be calling me that. Just because I just got cheated on it doesn't mean that something is wrong with me.

Even Brooke cringes at that. "Seriously, Tate?"

The fair skinned boy raises his hands, "Hey, Hey. Do not put words into my mouth. You're not ugly, I would never call you that."

"But you'd think it?" I gasp.

"Absolutely disgusting behaviour, Tate." Amethyst huffs out.

"I'm clutching my pearls," Brooke dramatically weeps.

Tate drags a hand across his face with a groan. "Just shoot me,"  He groans to no one in particular. "Please, someone shoot me."

__________________
a/n

is it too sudden? hm, who cares.

but guys pls save me from this like evil eye that i've got, i'm currently suffering from two puffed up eyes that i can barely see out of.

on the book note though: pls see this through it will get so good (and i know this because i'm writing later chapters right now!!!!)