[Chapter VI] | The End of Everyday Life

"Kikyou-chan, do you want to stop by the café on our way back today?" A girl asks her beige-haired classmate.

"Sure, let's go!" Kushida easily agreed, but quickly turned into the direction of a particular black-haired beauty. "Oh, but wait just a minute, okay? I want to invite one more person."

The beige-haired girl waltzed off from her group of friends and made her way to Horikita. No matter how much Horikita insisted that she doesn't wish to become friends with anyone, it was like Kushida remained to be a pest at her side.

Of course, Kushida asks the black-haired girl if she wished to accompany her on the way to the café. It wasn't surprising for Horikita to deny such an invitation, coldly throwing her invitation back in her face like it was nothing. But Kushida continued to smile, not even fazed by the harsh rejection, simply stating that she would invite her another time. Horikita, however, stopped her and simply explained that it would be better for her not to waste time on someone like her, accompanied with her usual icy gaze. Despite the beige-haired girl wishing to be friends with her, she was dragged away by her friends as they exited the classroom.

Horikita simply exhaled her breath with a content sigh and resumed back to putting her things away. It would've went smoothly if it weren't for a particular red-haired teen sitting next to her, merely chuckling to himself at the event that had unfolded. She sent him an annoyed gaze, something he was used to considering he didn't even flinch from it.

"Did my rejection of the poor girl's invitation amuse you? And you say I'm the cruel one, Himuro-kun."

"Wow, it still amazes me that you can still be this rude to people, Horikita-san," Asahi says, shrugging off her comment. "Perhaps it would be better if you were much nicer to Kushida-san. She's only trying to be friends with you."

"And I've explicitly told you before. I. Don't. Need. Friends," she reinforces.

"How can you say that when we've been friends since the first day we've met?"

Horikita wasn't amused by the boy's feign of pain. "I merely put up with your foolish antics. Don't let that get carried away to your head to actually make you think we're friends."

Asahi only laughed. "You're quick witted, and have such a sharp tongue whenever you speak. If you smiled more and displayed kindness, you would surely rise in popularity, Horikita-san."

"Have you not been listening to anything I've been saying?" She seethed. But Horikita soon shook her head. "Whatever. I'm leaving. Things like friends and popularity are useless to me."

Flipping her hair in the process, like there was a graceful wind that had somehow blown inside this enclosed space, the black-haired beauty left the classroom with such an elegance of clarity. Himuro could admit, Horikita is a beautiful girl, but her poor attitude and inability to mesh well with others does ruin her chances at becoming friends with anything. But it's not like it is necessary to get by in school with friends, however, it for sure is a recommended thing to do. That could be one person's observation on the matter. Naturally, other people could disagree with this ideal and agree with Horikita's opinion, thinking that the prospect of having "friends" will simply slow you down and make you unable to reach the goal you're reaching.

The maroon-eyed teen went back to packing up his own things, afternoon classes having now ended as it was now time for their break period. His current plan was to head to the gym as they were holding some practice today before the eventual try-outs for the team that would come on later in the month. It was only the first few weeks of school, so the plan was for them to have the first-years ease themselves in slowly and surely get used to everything. This would naturally mean that Tejima was still to be Captain before Asahi was made as soon as the try-outs began. His spot on the team was most assuredly secure, especially with the spectacle he had displayed to everyone on the first meeting. There wasn't anything wrong with showing a little bit of his dominance to everyone, but later down the line, he will fully enforce his rule, whether it be on the court or in this school. For now, he was just going to let things play out.