eighteen | confessions

Start from the beginning

There seemed to be a message in the walls of the house; enter with respect and pure heart or not at all.

There was a man in purple robes standing by the fireplace that brought a cozy feeling into the heart of their home.

"Let me introduce you," Isaiah ushered her towards him, "this is Kingsley Shacklebolt, our Minister of Magic."

Ophelia's eyes widened, "holy shit!"

Kingsley chuckled as he held out his hand for her, "pleasure, Miss Delisle."

Ophelia cleared her throat and shook his hand, "sorry, I'm just.. a little surprised."

"Here we are!" Teddy entered the room with a bottle of wine, "ah, Ophelia! Now the festivities can truly begin," he smiled widely.

She winked at him and smiled back, the calm he always brought with him spreading through her body. His dark hair was falling slightly over his eyes, and his white button up was tucked into his jeans. Teddy rolled up the sleeves of his shirt before pouring wine into glasses.

"Oh, none for me, please," Ophelia said.

Teddy's head snapped up in her direction, eyebrows raised.

"Going sober?"

"Something like that," she gave him a nervous smile.

Ophelia watched as he handed glasses with the sweet golden wine to his father and the Minister. She ran her hand through her hair, her heart beating faster at the thought of wine and a cigarette.

Maybe just one glass..

"Not even a glass for dinner when everyone else is having one.. color me impressed, Miss Delisle," Kingsley smiled.

Had he sensed her hesitation? She put up walls around her mind just in case, her father making her paranoid.

"It shows determination, does it not?"

"Absolutely," Isaiah agreed.

Ophelia stood a bit taller after that, a sense of pride invading her.

A loud pop almost made Ophelia swallow her own tongue as an elf appeared by the table.

"Sooky has finished dinner for Master and friends," the elf said, rubbing her hands together and looking down on the floor.

"Ah, thank you, Sooky," Isaiah smiled, "would you mind bringing it to the table?"

"Yes, Sooky shall bring dinner to table."

And then she disappeared.

Ophelia blinked, "you have a house elf?"

"Not for long, I would hope," Isaiah said and gestured for his guests to sit at the table. "Hermione Granger is currently advocating for their rights and soon Sooky will be nothing less than our guest."

Ophelia smiled politely before sitting down next to Teddy, with Isaiah and Kingsley opposite them.

Mushroom soup, bitter greens with tomatoes the size of peas, rare roast beef slices as thin as paper, noodles in a green sauce, cheese that melts on your tongue served with sweet blue grapes.

She had never been invited to such a dinner before. Dinner with Vincent usually consisted of pepperoni pizza in front of the tv, laughing at the comedy show, dropping cheese on the couch, letting the dog lick it off, talking with mouths full of bread, spraying crumbs over the carpet, drinks perched precariously on arm of the couch, and piling plates on the counter next to the dishwasher.

Isaiah cleared his throat, "a toast." They all raised their glasses, Ophelia's filled with some sort of soda. "To Ophelia, welcome to our side."

"Your side?"