chapter sixteen

It had been a while since Freddy talked to Lance. Last he heard, Lance finished his operation as Nina's undercover bodyguard and got a huge promotion in the bureau.

"Taylor."

Lance answered his call after a few rings.

"The big man on campus, huh," Freddy replied.

"Freddy Prince?"

He sounded happy to hear from his old friend. The last time they spoke to each other was at his mother's funeral. After that, Lance went MIA. There were no hard feelings or no love lost because what was understood didn't need to be explained.

"Well, well," Lance chuckled. "It's been a long time. How's it going?"

"Not good. I hate to call you with bad news, but I'm in a bind and could use a little bit of help."

Lance closed the door to his office and sat down at his desk. When Elm got killed, he hated he wasn't able to find out what happened to her and give Freddy the closure he needed. It wasn't until he got his promotion that he was able to access the secured files of Elm's case, and found out that things were deeper than he imagined.

"Yeah," Lance said. "I've been meaning to call you. I found out who killed your mom and why. My team and I have been silently working on a way to bring the case to the Supreme Court, and didn't want to bring it to you until I figured out a way. I also know about the deal you signed with Montgomery. I can't say that I agree with what you did, but I understand why you did it. I'm gonna see if I can help you out there too."

Freddy was grateful for all the connections he made in higher places. Especially the ones in law enforcement. He never sought those connections for ratting on anyone, but he did use them to get information.

"I appreciate that," Freddy said. "I'm working with Montgomery's daughter and she's willing to help with whatever we need. My niece found my mom's diary this morning, and we found out everything. My mom wrote it all down. That's why they killed her. Shonnie killed Fantasia today looking for that diary because it has all the evidence inside."

"Fantasia's dead?"

Lance sounded saddened by that. It was no secret; he was in love with Fantasia. Freddy wished she would've left Rodney alone and given Lance a shot, but she was too caught up trying to keep her family together.

"Yeah."

Freddy cleared his throat when he felt the tears brewing.

"I hate to tell you this over the phone."

"I'll be on my way to Virginia tomorrow morning," Lance said. "I already have a team there, so I'll coordinate with them and you and I can meet up afterward."

"Cool. Thanks again, Lance."

Once everything was set in motion, Freddy and Kalani were finally able to breathe again. They sat on the couch in silence for a moment, contemplating how things would turn out. She didn't worry about her dad or Mack. Shonnie either. She was more worried about Freddy and Skylar.

"Your niece needs you."

She broke the silence with a statement so raw; it made Freddy feel guilty for not checking on her.

"I know," he sighed. "I just don't know what to say."

"Leaving her alone and shutting her out isn't gonna help."

He looked at Kalani, admiring her softness. She was flawless in the looks department, but it was her personality and care for others that took her beauty to the next level.

She was right. It was a tough time for both him and Skylar, but Skylar needed the most comfort. She lost two staples in her life and they both knew from experience, that things like that were hard to come back from.