Chapter 17

Garrett glanced down at Frederica as the scenery of the countryside rushed part. Her head was resting against his shoulder, lolling about as the carriage sped along. When it was about to drop off its resting place, he gently pushed it back and adjusted himself so she was in a comfortable position.

When he was satisfied, he placed his hands on his lap next to hers so that their little fingers were almost touching. He itched to take her hand in his, to interlace their fingers, but he didn't want to wake her. They'd left at first light for it was at least a five-hour journey and she didn't want to be away from William for more than a day.

She'd debated with him yesterday about bringing her son so that Lord Brackley might see him. "In the hopes of making him more congenial," she'd said to which he'd agreed because he himself found the babe irresistible to look at when she'd brought him down to the drawing room.

But after determining that the long hours of travel would not be conducive to his care, she decided to bring a miniature she'd commissioned of the two of them shortly after his first month. That miniature was wrapped carefully and stowed away in her travelling bag.

Her rose-tipped scent gently teased his senses and he allowed himself this moment of contentment. Closing his eyes, he savoured the feeling of having her close to him, unencumbered by expectations of society. And though he knew it'd only bring pain and disappointment at the end, he allowed himself to dream about a life with her, sitting with her like this in quiet satisfaction while their children played in the gardens of Healey Manor, William leading the charge.

The serenity of it pinched his chest quite painfully and he swallowed the lump of feeling that had formed in this throat. Forcing himself to open his eyes, he picked up the book that laid tucked between his seat and the side of the carriage, and tried to focus on the words.

He didn't get very far before he felt Frederica stir. She pushed herself away from his body and he missed the warmth immediately. "Oh goodness. I can't believe I fell asleep. Are we nearly there yet?"

"Maybe halfway. The milepost states we have about ten miles more to the nearest post for a change of horses. And then likely twenty or so more miles. Did you sleep well?"

"As well as one can in a carriage I suppose." Rubbing her neck, she winced. He nudged her hand aside and took over. Her groan of relief was not much unlike that of when he took her to the peak with his fingers, and he tried to push it aside.

"Have you thought about what you might say to Lord Brackley when you meet him?" He asked, as much as a distraction for himself as satisfaction for his curiosity.

She was quiet for some time and he wondered if he heard a question. Then, she said, "I would ask him if he remembers my mother. And if he has memory of the necklace he gave her."

Garrett nodded for he'd seen said necklace. It had an emerald the length of his thumb, with smaller jewels the size of his fingernail hanging three on either side. There was no mistaking it for what it was, a nobleman's heirloom. And the letter written by her mother to Lord Brackley — though never posted — indicated as much. "What else would you say?"

"I will ask him...why. If he'd loved my mother as much as she'd claimed, why hadn't he been brave enough to stand up to his father? Then she needn't have suffered so. Although she wasn't nobility but she was still gentry. She was second cousin to Baron of Sothersby." His heart broke a little at the crack in her voice. "But I suppose the previous Lord Brackley thought himself too high in the instep for him to acknowledge a poor relation of a barony much older than his earldom." She wiped at her cheeks roughly before turning to face him, a forced smile in place. "Let us speak of more pleasant things."