Chapter 16

Garrett paced his room as he waited anxiously for a reply from Lady Leyland. He'd taken a huge gamble, but if he interpreted Frederica's words correctly about Lady Leyland's feelings towards him as a suitor, his gamble might just pay off.

A brief knock on the door and then a footman came in with the tray usually reserved for post. On it was a single note and he snatched it up before it could be presented to him. Even before the door was closed, he had the letter opened and let out a whoop. Lady Leyland had agreed to a carriage ride with him during the fashionable hour. And with Sir John's presence as well, this ride will give enough fodder to the gossips and hopefully they will come to the conclusion he wished them to have, that he had every intention to marry the Leylands' "niece".

He stared the the clock on the mantlepiece, counting down the hours impatiently.

Julia unfurled the note that Healey had penned her regarding news about Lord Brackley, admiring the man's resourcefulness. Somehow he'd even managed to find out the location of the earl faster than her uncle had gotten back to her about who his acquaintances were. But she supposed Healey had more impetus than her uncle in regard to this matter.

And Healey implored her to keep his involvement in this a secret even as she were to pass on the information to Frederica. Wondering why that was a necessity but agreeing to accede to his request, she tucked the note away in her drawer and looked at the clock. There was still a bit of time left for the calls to be made. If she hurried, she'd be able to see Frederica.

At half past four, the Leylands' barouche drew up outside Garrett's house. He leapt up from where he'd been watching the streets in the drawing room and hurried out the door. If they were surprised at his exuberance, they did not show it. But he made sure to temper it as he climbed into the vehicle.

"Good day, Sir John, Lady Leyland. Thank you for agreeing to my request. And for the use of your barouche. I do realise it is quite unconventional that I've asked to meet with you yet have you fetch me but I hope you understand my need for subterfuge."

Lady Leyland inclined her head in understanding. "I wholly appreciate what you are trying to do for Frederica. And I can tell you with great confidence that you have our support in your pursuit of marriage with Frederica. Isn't that right, Leyland?"

Sir John nodded, his greying whiskers twitching. "Certainly. There is nothing more in the world we wish for than for our Frederica to marry well and be secure in her future." He interlaced his fingers and rested them his bulging belly, an air of tranquility. "So what is it you wish to discuss regarding Frederica then? Your note to my wife was quite vague."

Garrett took a deep breath. There was no turning back after this. "There is no easier way to make it known to you. From my interactions with Fre...Mrs Brookfield, I've guessed her to be the illegitimate daughter of the Earl of Brackley. But I'm still fully prepared to stand by her, as you two have done, should this knowledge come to light," he said hurriedly at the worried look in the Leylands' eyes.

The worry turned to wariness and anger. "What is your meaning, my lord?" Sir John straightened now, his hands curled where they rested on his knees. "Have you come to blackmail us?"

"No! I mean no harm, sir. I come to you with this because I need every weapon at my disposal in order to overturn Fre...Mrs Brookfield's resistance to my suit. And so, I only seek to understand the reason for her pursuit of a legitimacy claim with Lord Brackley. Her identity as your distant relative has been fully established. And with no one doubting it, why should she still need Lord Brackley's acknowledgement of her? She could marry well as your niece."

The silence that ensued gnawed at his nerves. And even though what he spoke was the truth, fear still had him in its grips. Would they believe him and give him the information he wanted?