Chapter 10

Frederica sat at her vanity table, sifting through the jewellery that Lady Leyland was lending her for the duration of the Season. Mary was busy stuffing pins into her hair to ensure that the curls were held in place while she went to the opera tonight. A knock on the door and then a muffled, "Frederica, can I come in?"

"Yes, of course, Aunt." The door opened to reveal her aunt in her nightwear.

"Mary, could you give us a moment?"

"Yes, my lady."

Frederica tried to tamp down the nervous, for she knew what Sarah was about. Twisting in her seat so she faced the woman who was so dear to her, she pasted on a sunny smile. "What can I do for you, Aunt?"

Sarah waited until the abigail had closed the bedroom door behind them before she said, "Since there is no easier way, I shall be direct. Why did you deceive Lord Healey about your widowhood?"

"It seemed easier to let him assume that I was still married."

"But why?"

"Because...I do not want him to pay court to me."

"Again, why? Does the whole of the ton think you're still wedded?" Exasperation dripped from her every word.

"I wouldn't say the whole of society-" 

"Don't you dare pull the wool over my eyes on this matter!"

Frederica bit her lip at the sharpness of Sarah's tone and the accompanying blaze in the woman's grey eyes turning it into a veritable storm. "No, I wouldn't dare." She rushed to where Sarah was seated and knelt at her feet, taking her wrinkled hands in hers. "I'm fully aware of the large sums you and Sir John are paying for me to have another Season here in London. And I wholly appreciate everything you are doing. It is just that..." she swallowed the sudden lump in her throat. "I...I can never repay the kindness you've shown, are still showing. Even if I have to work for the rest of my life, I-"

"Frederica," Sarah sighed. "I'm not angry because of the money we are spending on you. I'm simply upset that you seemed to be throwing away this opportunity that we're giving you to find another husband to provide for you, for your son."

"But no titled man will want to marry a nobody who has a son. You know I have the right of it," she said when she saw Sarah open her mouth to protest.

"Be that as it may-"

"No, Aunt. I speak the truth. But there is a way for me to secure a future for me and my son without having to marry." She took a deep breath, bracing herself for Sarah's reaction as she revealed her real plans. "I'm going to seek out the Earl of Brackley and ask for enough funds to ensure we can lead a simple yet comfortable life. And for him to ensure a gentleman's education for my son, no, his grandson. I have the necklace he gifted my mother, and the letter she wrote stating her intentions of returning it. He'd have no reason not to believe me after that."

Silence reigned for many a heartbeat before Sarah got to her feet and began to pace. Frederica stood to one side, watching the agitation outlined by Sarah's footsteps. An unexpected calm had stolen over her, and a lightness as well. It was good to finally not to have to keep her real plans a secret any longer.

Sarah stopped and faced Frederica, concern etched on her face. "But how will you approach the earl? We have not met the man before nor have any mutual acquaintances whom can make the introductions." Her grey eyes narrowed. "Do you intend to march up to his front door and demand to see him?"

Frederica couldn't stop the laugh that spilled. "Aunt, if I'd wanted to do so, wouldn't you think I'd have done so already? No, I'm not so foolhardy as to take that route. If he rejects me and spreads lies, it would be a scandal. And the last thing I want is for you and Sir John to be caught up in that. No, I'm intending to attend as many events as I can in the hopes of meeting him coincidentally."