We Learn To Make Better Promises

Start from the beginning

"I came here for business, Geryon." Nico told him. "And you haven't answered me."

"Mmm." Geryon took interest in a nearby cactus. His left arm reached over and scratched her his middle chest. "Yes, you'll get a deal, all right."

"My ghost told me you could help. He said you could guide us to the soul we need."

"Wait a second." Percy said. "I thought I was the soul you wanted."

"You?" Nico looked at him as if he was crazy. "Why would I want you? Bianca's soul is worth a thousand of yours! Now, can you help me, Geryon, or not?"

"Oh, I imagine I could. Your ghost friend, by the way, where is he?" Geryon questioned.

"He can't form in broad daylight." Nico looked uneasy. "It's hard for him. But he's around somewhere."

"I'm sure." Geryon smiled. "Minos likes to disappear when things get...difficult."

"Minos?" Percy repeated. "You mean that evil king? That's the ghost who's been giving you advice?"

"It's none of your business, Percy!" Nico turned back to Geryon. "And what do you mean about things getting difficult?"

"Well you see," Geryon sighed, "Nico- can I call you Nico?"

"No."

"You see, Nico, Luke Castellan is offering very good money for half-bloods. Especially powerful half-bloods." Geryon explained. My blood ran cold. He's working for Luke. He's stalling us. "And I'm sure when he learns your little secret, who you really are, he'll pay very, very well indeed."

Nico drew his sword, but Eurytion knocked it out of his hand. My hand twitched to my necklace. Percy tried to get up, but Orthus pounced on his chest and growled.

"I would stay in the car, all of you. Miss Pittaluga, I wouldn't draw any weapons." Geryon warned. I with drew my hand away from the necklace and shot him a nasty glare. "Or Orthus will tear Mr. Jackson's throat out. Now, Eurytion, if you would be so kind, secure Nico."

"Do I have to?" Eurytion spit into the grass.

"Yes, you fool!"

Eurytion looked bored, but wrapped an arm around Nico and lifted him up.

"Pick up the sword, too." Geryon said with distaste. "There's nothing I hate worse than Stygian iron."

Eurytion picked up the sword, careful not to go touch the blade.

"Now," Geryon said cheerfully, "we've had the tour. Let's get back to the lodge, have some lunch, and send an Iris-message to our friends in the Titan army."

"You fiend!" Annabeth cried.

"Don't worry, my dear." Geryon smiled at her. "Once I've delivered Mr. di Angelo, you and your party can go. I don't interfere with quests. Besides, I've been paid well to give you a safe passage, which does not, I'm afraid, include Mr. di Angelo."

"Paid by whom?" Annabeth questioned. "What do you mean?"

"Never you mind, darlin'. Let's be off, shall we."

"Wait!" Percy said. Orthus growled at him. "Geryon, you said you're a businessman. Make me a deal."

"Percy...what are you doing?" I whispered, eyeing the dog that averted its gaze to me when I started to talk.

"What sort of deal? Do you have gold?" Geryon narrowed his eyes.

"I've got something better. Barter." Percy offered.

"But Mr. Jackson, you've got nothing."

"You could have him clean the stables." Eurytion suggested innocently.