54 : I'll Keep You Safe

Comincia dall'inizio

He fumbled through his pockets, and there, he found absolutely nothing. His phone was inside the Tardis. He wasn't even able to check on his own child. He'd never felt more useless.

"We'll find him." The Doctor said beneath his breath, taking EJ's hand in his own.

At first, the Thompson boy could hardly look away from the burning buildings. "What do they do to children?"

"I don't know."

His eyes met the Doctor's with a ferocious mix of pain and guilt. "What if that's the last time I saw Josh? What if they killed him? What if they cut out his brain and he's a Cybermen?" A tear fell down his cheeks before he even realised he'd welled up. The Doctor looked glassy before him. "What am I supposed to do?"

Almost immediately, the Doctor brought him into his arms, and held him. A sob or two escaped EJ. He wasn't trying to make a scene. "We'll sort it out. We'll find him. Whatever it takes."

  The Cyberman which had been broadcasting marched over to them, and stared out of the window. "I ordered surrender.

"They're not taking instructions." The Doctor retorted, his anger growing. "Don't you understand? You're on every street, you're in their homes, you've got their children! Of course they're going to fight!"

     It didn't react. EJ didn't know why he expected something to happen, because the Cybermen had no emotions. That was exactly who they were. Instead, it turned to face the others, all like stone, waiting for instruction.

     "Scans detect unknown technology active within sphere chamber. Cybermen will investigate. Units 10/6/5 and 10/6/6 will investigate sphere chamber."

     They were the only four humans left alive on that floor. The others had been killed with ease, or taken away for conversion. So far, all they were was lucky.

     A moment passed whilst they waited for the Cybermen in those ranks to move towards the sphere chamber. EJ took it to wipe away his tears. However sad, or concerned, he was, he couldn't afford to be weak. Not yet. When the Cybermen were gone, when he knew that Josh was safe and alive, that was when he could deal with it.

     "Units, open visual link." As they spoke, the laptop screen changed, and they could see exactly what the units could. "Visual contact established."

And that was when they saw it. Worse than the Cyberman. More terrifying altogether. And yet, the world had no idea what was coming.

EJ was the first to react, his entire body became rigid, and suddenly, he couldn't breath. It was sickening, and his eyes welled with the memories which came alongside. The Doctor, however, was much more subtle. His entire body dropped to stand to attention, his face even falling to rest with some sense of malice.

     It was the Daleks.

"Identify yourself." It commanded, staring straight ahead.

The Cybermen disagreed. "You will identify first."

"State your identity!"

"You will identify first."

The Dalek grew impatient, more so than usual, and began to raise its voice. "Identify!"

"Aggression is wasteful and illogical, you will modify."

EJ wanted to turn to the Doctor and whisper one of his many jokes. However, he was frightened the Cybermen might do something to him for interrupting the conversation, if it could be called that. He really was terrified.