Among the bustling crowd, a woman and a young child scurried by. The little girl's horrified gaze locked with Calida's.

Calida offered a warm smile and a gentle wave to dispel any perceived threat.

However, the response was unexpected as the woman promptly picked up the child and hastened away. Calida sighed, returning her attention to Coriolanus, who seemed visibly irritated.

«There's an issue," he informed her, prompting a slow nod from Calida as she awaited further details.

«They can only provide us with one bedroom," he spat out, clearly agitated.

«What? Are they lacking in accommodations for Capitol visitors?" Calida questioned incredulously.

«They have the space, but it's not a matter of capacity; it's about security. There aren't enough guards available for two separate rooms at the moment," he explained, his annoyance evident.

«How many guards does it take to secure our rooms?" Calida asked with a furrowed brow.

«A substantial number. You'll understand why in the coming days," Coriolanus replied, glancing at his clock.

Without bothering to engage in a futile argument, Calida silently trailed behind Coriolanus as they entered a car that whisked them away to a slightly more aesthetically pleasing section of the district.

Though the greenery was still conspicuously absent, the houses appeared more respectable.

Stepping out of the vehicle, they were greeted by a housekeeper who ushered them into a modest guest house, where guards were already strategically positioned.

The interior, more significant than its exterior suggested, boasted tasteful furnishings, yet the catch was evident – only one bed adorned the room.

Calida deliberately averted her gaze from the bed, her attention drawn to the room's layout.

A pair of couches, when pushed together, could perhaps offer a makeshift sleeping arrangement.

In their shared space, Coriolanus and Calida stood in a contemplative silence.

Calida tentatively tested the comfort of the couch, only to discover it was the most uncomfortable piece of furniture.

Judging by Coriolanus's expression, he shared her sentiments as he settled onto the less-than-ideal seating. Frustration passed between them as their eyes met.

"What's the point of couches if they're unbearable to sit on?" Calida muttered, receiving a hum of agreement from Coriolanus.

"You take the bed," he offered.

"Where will you sleep? You need rest, too," she inquired, a frown creasing her forehead.

Her fatigue was palpable despite a lengthy nap on the train, but she recognized Coriolanus's need for rest surpassed hers.

Despite his seemingly unyielding composure, the toll was evident.

"I'll rest when I'm dead," he replied, unpacking his suitcase.

Calida sighed. "We're both adults, Coriolanus. I'm sure you've shared a bed with a woman before. I don't bite," she attempted to inject levity into the room, dispelling the sudden seriousness that enveloped them.

Coriolanus clenched his jaw. "I've never just slept in a bed with a woman," he confessed, his gaze meeting hers with a mischievous smirk.

Calida's eyes widened in surprise. "I'll pretend you didn't just say that," she chuckled. "But I guess there's a first for everything. The only thing happening in this bed will be sleeping."

He chuckled slightly. "Are you sure?"

"Ew," she retorted, constructing a pillow barricade in the middle of the bed.

"Come on, Flower, I was just messing with you. I won't touch you," he reassured, unbuttoning his shirt.

Calida averted her gaze hastily upon catching a glimpse of his well-toned physique.

"Unless you beg me to," he added.

Calida scoffed, turning her attention back to him, determined to keep her focus on his face despite the challenging distraction.

As Coriolanus turned to retrieve something, Calida's gaze fixated on his back. There, she noticed a scar adorning his left shoulder blade and, on the right side, an impression that bore the resemblance of a burn mark, hinting at a past encounter with fire.

Calida found it challenging to divert her eyes from his scarred back, and when he pivoted back to face her, it was evident he had caught her staring.

Before she could articulate her question, he cut in with a bitter tone, "What do you think?"

"District people...?" Calida queried, her brow furrowing in confusion.

"This one was a gift from a District 8 scoundrel," he disclosed, referring to the left side, seemingly inflicted by a knife. "And this one," he continued, turning away, "comes from the rebels bombing the arena last year."

"Oh," Calida acknowledged, resisting the urge to delve deeper into the topic, sensing a potential disturbance in their congenial atmosphere.

Memories of the arena bombing flooded her mind—it had been a huge spectacle at that time.

Preparing for bed, Calida retreated to the bathroom to change into her nightgown.

Upon her return, she found Coriolanus clad in loose-fitting pyjama pants but still shirtless.

Witnessing him in such a casual state felt foreign, almost illicit.

Her encounters with him had always featured sophisticated and meticulously put-together attire, and now, he exuded an entirely laid-back aura— something that was unsettling.

Coriolanus Snow having a laid back aura was not something she could ever envision, but now she was seeing it with her own two eyes.

"So, when are we planning to visit Isaac's mother?" Calida inquired, making an effort to compose herself.

"First thing in the morning, and after that, the mayor will take us on a tour of his district," he responded, glancing her way.

Calida felt a sense of exposure in her slightly too revealing nightgown; she hadn't anticipated sharing a room with him and had failed to pack a more modest option.

Quickly sliding under the covers, Calida responded, "Sounds good."

He lingered, studying her for a moment before retreating to the bathroom.

As Calida reclined on the bed, her gaze fixed on the ceiling.

Despite the room's distance from the bustling streets, the noise from the outside world infiltrated the space—raucous and lively, likely fueled by alcohol.

Calida pondered if they could partake in the revelry as well.

Probably not.

Upon Coriolanus's return, he settled into bed.

Though close, there was a deliberate distance between them, no physical contact.

"I'm concerned about Isaac's mother's reaction tomorrow. Hopefully, returning her son will offer some closure," she shared, still staring at the ceiling as he rested his head on the pillow beside her.

"You should be concerned," he remarked. "These people won't care about your attempts at kindness; given the chance, they'd kill you without a second thought," he warned, meeting her gaze.

"I don't really believe that," Calida countered.

"You will tomorrow. I can assure you of that,"

------------------------------------------------------

Happy New Year, everyone❤️❤️

So, I wrote this instead of studying for the exam; procrastinating is my biggest enemy.

Anyway, I really like the upcoming chapters, so I can't wait to get back to a regular updating schedule.

Thank you for reading!