7🐾 Ace Returns

Characters so far that I drew; excluding North's puppies

~

Tightly-packed clouds created an even darker atmosphere as Gypsy approached Ace. His light blue eyes flashed worridly in the night, a sheen of white light reflected in them by Ghost's impenetrable glow.

"Gypsy, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?"

She tucked her tail and turned her face away. Gentle Ace never raised his voice at her.

"Do you know how FRANTIC I was? That you got lost, or was starving or dead? And you LEFT me there alone!" His accusatory tone had Gypsy unable to look up at him.

"I know. I'm sorry- but you should've been worried that I had died there, not out here." She whispered the last part, still out of breath from running.

Exasperated, Ace jerked his paws and sat down as if to say; we're gonna be here for awhile. He glanced over at Ghost, who kindly just gave an awkward smile and stayed silent. The hilltop was growing darker, deep orange shadows fading to purple around them.

"Did you know I had to cross like, three roads to get here? And lost your scent like five times along the way... Ghost got one vision showing me where you actually were, however! How helpful is that?" He said sarcastically, tone dripping with dissapointment.

The white dog felt that she had messed up badly, if Ace was this angry. She turned her face away from him, wallowing in her shame.

And she knew the words he wanted to say, the words he wasn't saying yet.

How would you feel if I abandoned you? The answer to that question shrank away from her to an irrefutable distance. And so, she refused to answer it.

"I thought you wanted another family, Ace. You made no show of wanting to leave with me one way or another- after I asked you, that night..." She trailed off and hoped he'd understand.

But Ace still had a striking blue gaze planted accusingly on her. She swallowed defensively and raised her head, but Ace was already crowing on.

"I was half-asleep, Gypsy. When I awoke I actually thought that ghost, and you being gone was all a dream I was still taking part in. After I realized this was real, I had him tell me how to escape. And I followed you." She stared at him. The white pitbull hadn't expected Ace's voice to now grow thoughtful.

"I wanted to be where you were without a second thought. I never once considered that having a new family was better than being anywhere with you." The male gave a feeble smile. His black-and-cream fur shone even under the grey-black sky.

"I missed you," Gypsy said with an explosion of relief, and bounded forward. She rubbed cheeks with Ace, tail wagging a mile per minute. He reciprocated by licking her face, but his movements were still stiff.