→ CHAPTER 1

.GAME ON.
— season three - episode twenty-five —

     JESSE CLIFFORD SLOAN was anything but unprepared when he met Alexandra Carolina Grey for the first time. It was a cold, rainy day at Harvard University. Jesse expected the class to bore his brains out until the Professor wanted two brave students to step forward and debate about any of the random topics written on the board. 

Of course, the Professor didn't want the two students to discuss all of the topics on the board — but once they were up there, it seemed as if nothing could have stopped them. Not that the Professor wanted to, much to the other students' dismay. 

"So, you're defending murder now?"

"If it's an opinion against yours, I will."

"Do you ever stop talking?"

"It's a debate, Sloan. I'm expressing my opinion. You see, in a debate—"

"You're seriously explaining what a debate is to me?"

"I thought we were debating, not playing twenty questions."

"It was a rhetorical question."

"Do you need a definition of a rhetorical question, too?"

Each point one made, the other countered quickly — even with banter on the side. By the end of the class, the Professor had a smile on his face for the entertainment, the students had a headache trying to catch up with everything they said, and Jesse and Lexie found their mortal enemy, their academic rival.

If there were anything they could make a competition, they would. Their following years at Harvard included — and were definitely not limited to — competing for the best grades, being the first in class, getting their work recognized by teachers or published in their school newspaper, lying to the other when/where the class would meet, constantly throwing the other off their game, and sabotaging birthday or romantic plans. 

This less-than-friendly competition made it difficult to have friends or relationships, and would either bring amusement or annoyance to students and teachers alike. 

By the time they graduated, they were unsure who won their competition, nor did they care. They realized they would be out of each other's lives, free of their competition, and would never see each other again.