Prologue

Dark.

Cold.

Nothing.

Kaori didn't know what to do or say. Part of her consciousness remained attached to the blasted operation table, while the other part of her wanted to give in and slip into the void of death. Prior to this moment in limbo, she never had trouble feeling any emotion. Happiness. Joy. Irritation. Yet, in this odd state between life and death, she couldn't feel anything.

She did feel one thing: sadness. Sorrow. Despair. She was about to leave the world, and would never have the chance to tell Kousei Arima how she really felt, let alone play a second duet with him. If she strained her ears to listen, she could hear Kousei's performance at the Eastern Japan Piano Competition. Every note, every measure. How she yearned to be onstage with him again!

But the harsh reality of her illness dictated otherwise.

Everyone else around her was full of life, youth, and vigor while she was being sucked down into the dark ocean of death. While she was down here, they were up there and there was nothing she could do about it.

Or so she thought.

Suddenly, she saw a bright white light wash over her, and newfound strength suddenly flowed into her veins. She felt the sensation of the hospital gown over her body, and realized she was no longer floating in the void between life and death, but back on the side of life! Her muscles regained not just their normal strength, but greater strength. She heard the heart monitor begin to beep even faster, and heard the frantic voices of the surgeons.

Without thinking, Kaori suddenly sat up, tearing the respirator off of her mouth and screaming out in excitement. She looked down and felt where the doctors had been operating. There were no cuts beneath her gown! No wounds! She was here...she was healthy...she was alive!

"Someone get her parents outside!" a surgeon called.

Kaori was elated, overjoyed, but also surprised.

"Mom, dad, I don't understand. How is this possible?" She exclaimed as they walked into the operating room.

Omni Man smiled, his large, muscular form looming behind her mom as he revealed the truth.

"Because you, my daughter...are a Viltrumite."

And with the declaration of those seven, simple, sinister words, the symphony of Kaori's life changed key to a darker note.

The performance had gone into its second act. And Kaori's audience...would be the entire world.