𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐨

Start from the beginning

"Saffire, we didn't know if you were alive or dead," Cassian admitted. "You were our family. Losing you was hard for all of us."

The broken look on Cassian's face made Saffire's heart drop. She never knew her disappearance had affected her family that much. Mor hastily wiped away a tear and Amren's silver eyes bore into hers, though deep down through all of the guards she had up, she could tell that Amren cared.

"I am sorry," Saffire whispered. "I hadn't realised my disappearance had affected you all so greatly–"

"Please stop being so formal," Cassian pleaded. "We are your family."

"We haven't been her family for a long time," Azriel's soft voice cut through the air.

Saffire's head snapped in his direction. His gaze had finally lifted and the only emotion Saffire noticed within them was betrayal. Her eyes stung with tears.

The female next to Rhys, her arms tattooed with swirls up to her elbows, cleared her throat. "Any arguments that might happen will end here." She turned to Saffire with a small gentle smile. "Saffire is a guest here and I won't tolerate arguments from someone trying to do their job, no matter your history."

Saffire gave the female a grateful nod as she took a deep breath. All pairs of eyes felt like daggers in her heart. "I understand that all of you must despise me for what I did, but you must understand that I haven't come here for myself, I am here under my Queen's orders. All I am trying to do is a job for her, don't let any hostile attitude towards me affect what she is aiming to do."

The room was silent, the only exception was Mor placing her wine glass down on the table. Saffire's heartbeat increased and her body felt hot. If Floris had been with her, everything would have been okay, she would have had someone to lean on. But now she was alone in a house where everyone hated her.

"Will you answer one personal question for us, Saffire?" Rhys asked.

Saffire met his gaze. "Only one."

"Why did you leave?"

That was the one question Saffire had prepared for on her journey to the Night Court. As she answered, her voice was almost robotic from how she had rehearsed it over and over again.

"I was a danger to all of you and the whole of Velaris," said Saffire. "I needed to get away before I hurt any of you."

"A danger?" Rhys asked. "How were you a danger?"

"She has powers," A quiet voice spoke from the end of the table.

Saffire tore her gaze away from Rhys's and landed on the third female she hadn't recognised. She looked startled like she hadn't meant to let anything slip.

"What do you mean, Elain?" Rhys questioned.

The female– Elain, gazed at Saffire, an apologetic expression on her face. Elain opened her mouth to respond but Saffire beat her to it.

"She is correct," Saffire replied, once again looking down at the table. "I have powers."

Cassian chuckled humorously. "We would have known if you had powers."

Saffire shook her head. "You wouldn't have. Because I didn't even know until days before I left."

Saffire stood up from her seat and stood at the head of the table. As she brought her left hand up in front of her, the surges of power wrapped around her arm and around her body in thin blue thread. The former family watched in astonishment– all except Azriel, whole face remained neutral.

"When I left, I couldn't control it," Saffire began. "I could feel it bubbling inside of me and it was only a matter of time before it burst. I didn't want any of you to get hurt in the process so the safest thing I could do was leave."